Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Couple laps of Firebird Main in my G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Couple laps of Firebird Main in my G8 GT

I blew the trans in my track Mustang on my 3rd lap of the day, but I had a student I was responsible for, so I had to stick around. Later in the day I couldn't stand being there and not driving anymore, even though I got in a couple of relatively hot laps in my student's [f-ing awesome] Boss 302, so I took my G8 out for a few laps.

Bone stock brakes, tires, suspension, stock everything except a Magnaflow catback, Rotofab CAI, Cortex 91 octane and 50% trans tunes. I weighed it on the track scales and it was 4075 with me in it (that's 240 lbs) and a half tank of gas. I could feel every ounce of it in the corners LOL. But looking at the time from the video it looks like I was only a second or two slower than my recent Mustang times, and is actually faster than some of the times I ran on this same configuration a couple years ago. That amazes me.

2009 G8 GT
    Road course and racing school junkie, high-performance car control instructor, 8300 miles on 17 tracks and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Always good having another track junkie around.

And these cars really are surprisingly capable for their size and weight. Holden really did their homework on the chassis and suspension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Suprised the shit out of the guy in the Audi S4, that's for sure :lol:
    2009 G8 GT
    Road course and racing school junkie, high-performance car control instructor, 8300 miles on 17 tracks and counting

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm no strut bars? May help with the sway. Minor things like that help a lot on a track.. And agree glad to see another track junkie as well. Never tracked my g8.. But my friend did his every weekend.. there are some tricks to help with the body roll.. Which if u ask me for a sedan isn't that bad awesome video

Post Thanks / Like

Great job - very smooth driving. You were really hauling on the second lap in the video. That 99x that passed you was REALLY hauling - LOL.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that was great to watch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Nice. Always good having another track junkie around.

And these cars really are surprisingly capable for their size and weight. Holden really did their homework on the chassis and suspension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Can't wait to see what the SS can do with ~150LBS less weight, and hopefully an improved suspension setup. At least we know the wheel setup is a little lighter, and there's more meat out back.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

It needs more rebound control in the struts. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable. More tire, better brake pads, better rebound, a little more negative camber in front, and this thing would be an epic cackle-inducing track sleeper.
    2009 G8 GT