Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Help with P0335 Check Engine Light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with P0335 Check Engine Light

So I have a 2009 GT with about 40,000 miles on it. This morning it has a check engine light on but seems to be running ok so I retighten the gas cap since i just got gas last night. I go to work hoping it will clear but no luck. On my way home it is still lit after a few startups and short drives to try and cycle the system and see if it will go away still under the assumption it is gas cap related. On the way home I stop at Auto Zone and the code they give me is P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor. I go in to order the part and now the code is gone. Should I go ahead and replace the part or wait and see if the code comes back? If I do replace how hard of a job is it and what is the best way of getting to it? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    2009 Maverick Silver Metallic G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

I would check the live data on the CPS with a scanner and possibly scope it, OR just wait till the light comes back on but a fault like that could prevent the car from starting, I recommend purchasing the part from Carquest they have very HIGH quality rotating electrical parts.
    09 g8gt psm superchips, custom flowmaster

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The CKP sensor is behind the starter. I doubt at 40k it has a issue, but I would keep on eye on this issue as it can turn into a no start issue if that sensor is failing.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Will probably just have the part readily available since it is cheap and replace if it comes up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2009 Maverick Silver Metallic G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

Code P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor: Had this code after starting my G8 this past week when leaving work. It was early morning and the temperature was around 30 degrees outside (Fahrenheit). Car didn't want to start and then when it finally did the check engine light came on and it ran a little rough. fuel mileage also went down about 2mpg on my 15 mile trip home. Got the sensor and went to change it today. No posts on what you need to do to change it. It took roughly an hour. First after jacking the passenger side of the car up and crawling underneath I was able to find it right there behind the starter. So taking the starter off ended up being the hardest part. Disconnect the battery then take the two bolts out of the starter. Now comes the hard part! How do you get the starter out of that little space? Well after about 20-30mins I found that you have to really force the front end of it up and forwards then the back will scrape past the bell housing and you can now get to the crankshaft Position Sensor. CPS has a 10mm bolt that comes out really easy and the sensor pulls out with ease. Put a little oil around the O-ring of the new one and push it in then re-insert the 10mm bolt. Putting the starter back on it a little easier...Just angle it and give it a good hard push and you can then position it and bolt it back on. Car started just fine after all this and is back to running smooth.

6. Likes -Ray- liked this post