Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard heater hoses from Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck with the shoulder jcmGT. I'm sure it will go well.

On another note I can't believe how good your mail system is down south. I could not get a parcel to someone in Edmonton (10 miles away) by Monday. An for me it is mostly cosmetic. I don't want the hoses laying on top of my blower so I'm getting them out of the way first. And I will take a few pictures during and after.
    09 GT PBM Base,6K HID's and relay harness, Homelink in visor, sport pedals, GXP rear valance, Pontiac trunk liner
    Infinity's in doors, Kickers on Deck powered by EXILE and 16OHM center spkr, 40' of dynamat, Weathertech floor liners
    20" Rial Porto's with 245R35 front and 275R30 rear Sumutimo HTRIII's and CTS-V Brembo calipers with DBA Rotors and SS lines.
    Pedders GSR struts with OEM height Sport Ryder Springs and SuperPro bushings. DOD deleted.
    Solo HFC's with Mach Balanced w/J pipes and resonators + 3.5" tips, Harrop Enhanced Performance with EPS custom cam
    Tuned by Patrick G. and cooled by B&M
    "Jack"
    winter 2015 mods....TBD

New DD 2013 Buick Regal GS, Diamond White, IPF Tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the ones Charlie made 4 years ago and they've been terrific!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camaro Hard Hose Kit is In

Well the hose kit came Friday so I put it in over the weekend. Wish I could say that its a perfect fit but it is not. It will go in and looks like it will not rub on anything but ....Although the engine bays by eye look the same we could have used a somewhat different bend in the hard pipes for a better fit. There is another issue that you need to make an adjustment for but you'll see that as we go along. Start by draining down the rad. Either save it or its a good time for a partial flush. Drain plug is on passenger side of the rad accessible from under the car without removing anything. It's plastic and seals with an "o" ring so it was not too tight.

P3011149.JPG

Move the spring clamps back an inch so they are off the water pump nipples.

P3011154.JPG.

Do the same thing on the heater core nipples. I got mine off without cutting by pushing them forward and then working them off with a side to side motion. Do not just pull because the heater core nipples feel like they will just pull right out which may lead to a leak.

P3011155.JPG

Once you have loosened but not removed the hoses get a container down under the water pump to catch the gush. I used a rectangular funnel with a hose on it draped into my rad catch basin. Forgot to take a picture of this step. Also place a rag under the heater core connections and a third hand is handy to keep the pump ends in the funnel while you pull off the heater core ends. Small amount of glycol drips out of here but a good quart comes out of the water pump hose ends and the housing. It will make a mess if you can't catch most of it. I only lost a couple ounces.

P3011155.JPG

P3011156.JPG

Now that you have the hoses off you will see compared to the "Camaro" hose kit that the heater core sizes are different. On our G8's the larger size heater hose ends at the quick connect. On the Camaro it continues to the heater core. To make this work you need an inch of 5/8 or 1/2" heater hose to slip onto the heater core nipple. You can cut a piece off the factory hose but I just went to a local shop and got a piece of 5/8 hose. Also pick up a 7/8-1 1/4 SS Hose clamp.

P3011157.JPG

Now you want to prepare the new set by taking the spring clamps off the old hoses on the water pump end and placing these on the new set on the heater core end. On the water pump end place a spring clamp on the small hose and leave the SS hose clamp off for now. Move the braided wrap on the water pump ends so that it is close to the aluminum hard pipe connections. Keep just a small amount of braid on the hose bend. You can slip the prepared hoses from above the engine down between the fender and the engine. Work the water pump ends between the AC compressor and the fender/frame. Its tight but they will go.

P3011160.JPG

P3011159.JPG

P3021161.JPG

P3021165.JPG

P3021162.JPG

The last picture above shows why the kit does not fit great. The hard pipes have a "C" bend in them that curves nicely into the fender but continues out into the engine bay instead of straight down or "S" curving back towards the frame. I thought of trying to bend the but the tubing is very thin so I elected to leave them as shown. The attachment bracket is of no use to us without as it sits out in the middle of nowhere. Not even close to the frame where it should attach. Even so it still allows spark plug access and does not touch anything. It is close to the manifold heat shielding but I think this is a non issue. Grabbing the hoses and moving them shows some clearance everywhere. Once I get under the car I think you can pull them a little closer to the frame by tie the attachment bracket to the frame.
    There is a few more pictures on my public album but that pretty much sums it up. Took me about two hours so its relatively easy.
    09 GT PBM Base,6K HID's and relay harness, Homelink in visor, sport pedals, GXP rear valance, Pontiac trunk liner
    Infinity's in doors, Kickers on Deck powered by EXILE and 16OHM center spkr, 40' of dynamat, Weathertech floor liners
    20" Rial Porto's with 245R35 front and 275R30 rear Sumutimo HTRIII's and CTS-V Brembo calipers with DBA Rotors and SS lines.
    Pedders GSR struts with OEM height Sport Ryder Springs and SuperPro bushings. DOD deleted.
    Solo HFC's with Mach Balanced w/J pipes and resonators + 3.5" tips, Harrop Enhanced Performance with EPS custom cam
    Tuned by Patrick G. and cooled by B&M
    "Jack"
    winter 2015 mods....TBD

New DD 2013 Buick Regal GS, Diamond White, IPF Tuned...

Post Thanks / Like

GRRRR8 write up. Considering the cost, I think it's the best "close to OEM" solution. I may venture too bend the hard lines myself to get the contour but still as is, it looks good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't work with headers.
    515 rwhp - 416 Stroker - 2015
    2009 G8 GT PSP, 6.8L Stroker 416ci,CM 228/234 .629/.629 LSA112 +2 Cam,PRC LS3 255CC CNC Heads,Trunion Rocker Upgrade,RCR Intake,FTI Stall 3600-3800,Trans Cooler,B&M flex plate,3.27 Diff LSD,UDP,1 7/8 OBXR LT SS Headers/SS, 3",Borla Mufflers,VCM OTR CAI,LS7 MAF 100mm,Patrick G. ECM/TCM Tune,Koni Shocks/Struts Yellow,Eibach Pro Kit Springs,LCA's w/Whiteline bushings,BMR Sub Frame Connectors,Spohn Tunnel Brace,BMR Fr/Rr Sway Bars,Suspension/Diff Bushings,PMT Rear Trailing Arms/Toe Links,Brembo's Front Brakes,Russell Street Legal Brake Line Braided SS,V8 6.0 Side Badges,GXP Diffuser,G8 Door Sill Plate,Red Shift Knob,SS Rim's,BFGoodrich g-force 255/35/20-285/35/20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    I bought the ones Charlie made 4 years ago and they've been terrific!
    Yep, same here.

7. Likes Ben2009GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Made my own after buying or lets say drank the Kool-Aid on the Camaro hoses that didn't work.
    515 rwhp - 416 Stroker - 2015
    2009 G8 GT PSP, 6.8L Stroker 416ci,CM 228/234 .629/.629 LSA112 +2 Cam,PRC LS3 255CC CNC Heads,Trunion Rocker Upgrade,RCR Intake,FTI Stall 3600-3800,Trans Cooler,B&M flex plate,3.27 Diff LSD,UDP,1 7/8 OBXR LT SS Headers/SS, 3",Borla Mufflers,VCM OTR CAI,LS7 MAF 100mm,Patrick G. ECM/TCM Tune,Koni Shocks/Struts Yellow,Eibach Pro Kit Springs,LCA's w/Whiteline bushings,BMR Sub Frame Connectors,Spohn Tunnel Brace,BMR Fr/Rr Sway Bars,Suspension/Diff Bushings,PMT Rear Trailing Arms/Toe Links,Brembo's Front Brakes,Russell Street Legal Brake Line Braided SS,V8 6.0 Side Badges,GXP Diffuser,G8 Door Sill Plate,Red Shift Knob,SS Rim's,BFGoodrich g-force 255/35/20-285/35/20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben2009GT View Post
    Made my own after buying or lets say drank the Kool-Aid on the Camaro hoses that didn't work.
    no room with headers? Care to post yours?

2009 GT-Rotofab~VMS tune~jba headers~solo catback~camaro wheels~slotted and drilled rotors
    SOON TO BE: Pat G cam, headwork, Manzo headers, removal of crap VMS tune.
    2004 Sierra Crew Cab-Cal Speed stainless LT~hooker aerochamber~Black Bear Performance tune~Ridetech coilovers-dropped 5.5"/8"...much more, FOR SALE

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny you bumped this thread. I was looking for it a while back and was going to look again because I'm going to build these.
    Anyone else want them? No profit to me. Just helping out others.
    I think I'm going to use stainless because I know it will bend nice in my bender or maybe if the price on sanitary El's are reasonable I'll do that.
    Plus I can tig the bracket right on the tube and not need that plastic block.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

11. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    That's funny you bumped this thread. I was looking for it a while back and was going to look again because I'm going to build these.
    Anyone else want them? No profit to me. Just helping out others.
    I think I'm going to use stainless because I know it will bend nice in my bender or maybe if the price on sanitary El's are reasonable I'll do that.
    Plus I can tig the bracket right on the tube and not need that plastic block.
    Let me know cost and I'd be interested. I don't mind you making a buck either.