Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rear End Clunk - Driveline

Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the video, being that you can move the wheel that much and get the cluck....would wheel bearings be the possible culprit?

It's been a while, but I want to say I replaced mine under some kind of TSB or warranty. (I could be wrong though too, like I said, its been a while).
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

Better not be the bearings. I just had them replaced on that wheel to try to fix this wired "whurring" noise that I've had for the last several months. My regular mechanic said that it was "probably" rear bearings and since it sounded like the right side, that's what I went with. Almost $700 later, no dice. The noise is still there. Still don't know what's causing it and oddly enough, it hasn't changed or gotten worse despite rotating the wheels. The brakes seem to be OK too.
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

See if you have a driveline specialty auto shop around you. Might have better luck with something like that.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have way more slop then that but I have a manual transmission.
    I would do this.
    Lift the car up so you can lay under it.
    Leave it in Park. And block up one tire.
    Have someone move the one wheel back and forth and see if there is more movement from one join to another. Starting with wheel/axle shaft, shaft/inner cv, and on to the other wheel. And then cv's/rear drive shaft, rear/front drive shaft.
    I bet its a cv or center bering on the drive shaft.
    If it was the rear gear you would have a loud hum when driving.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Also when it's up pull the park break and have someone put it in drive and watch the movement of the diff bushings.

I have a clunk when I let off the throttle bit it's my muffler hitting my diffuser. Only does it when I let off quick of a hard pull.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Replace your transmission mount with the upgraded GM unit. Thought I had checked it and found it ok. I was wrong. Solved the problem.