Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rear End Clunk - Driveline

Post Thanks / Like

Dealership Update:

Dropped my car off Fri AM and picked it up after lunch.

They confirmed they can heard the clunking, but said it's normal to have that with IRS. The tech (who I always request to work on my car) said it sounds louder than avg but thought it might be from having the Camaro Diff and Tune. I let him know it's not the Tune, as I've been setup like this for about a yr, and this clunk really only started about a month ago. There has always been slop in the driveline, but no clunk. He said his hands are pretty much tied when it comes to warranty work, because of the Camaro diff in there. He said he could look into it further, but chances are it wouldn't be covered by warranty because of the Diff. (unless it was forsure driveshaft related). But he said everything on the Driveshaft looked and felt good.

So, I am kinda stuck I guess. We talked it over for a bit, and I think the next step will go to the tuners shop and get his opinion on the matter. I am 99% sure it's not tune related though, but he can also help determine what the issue could be. If it's not going to be a warranty fix, I'd rather fix it at his shop anyway since I can go with aftermarket parts if something is indeed wrong.

Not sure when I'll have time to get into his shop, but I'll update this thread when I do.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Gotta promise not to stop
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spartan466 View Post
    Thanks... I've read that other people notice a little bump with the gForce axles. I'm not panicking about it right now as everything is still pretty solid in the driveline and even on DRs, I haven't noticed any issues. With all the extra power I have since the Maggie, I'm actually VERY cautious about taking up driveline slack before doing a burnout or launch though... especially now that I see what kind of slop there is in the driveline. The last thing I need is for all that torque to get a running start at my drivetrain!
    gForce axles and a noticeable clunk. They definitely will cause some noises and vibrations, for sure.

2009 Cadillac CTS-V | Crystal Red Tintcoat | Ebony
    KPE Catback | Airaid Cold Air Intake | Tuned by Kaltech Tuning and Performance

2013 Mustang GT | Sterling Gray | Saddle | -- Sold (7/31/14)
    Stuff | 550 RWHP

2009 G8 GT | Stryker Blue | Onyx | -- Sold (8/3/13)
    Giant cam | 4200 Coan Stall Converter | ARH Headers | Other stuff | 440 RWHP

Post Thanks / Like

Problem has been fixed!

Issue: Pfadt bushings in the diff went bad. We switched them to BMR Street Bushings and the clunk is gone.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawyzf View Post
    Problem has been fixed!

Issue: Pfadt bushings in the diff went bad. We switched them to BMR Street Bushings and the clunk is gone.
    That's great news! I hate clunks. Finally getting my driveshaft replaced. Betting money the new power damaged one of the couplings or the rubber cushion of the center bearing. I"ll find out next week. Been waiting five months to take action on this.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

I am super happy to have this fixed. The clunk worried me and I wanted to know what it was and always hoped it wouldn't break something.

I have spare rubber couplers if you end up needing some.
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawyzf View Post
    I am super happy to have this fixed. The clunk worried me and I wanted to know what it was and always hoped it wouldn't break something.

I have spare rubber couplers if you end up needing some.
    Thanks for the offer, but I bought brand new ones from Pace - the Camaro ones which are cheaper but supposedly better. In fact I bought all new bolts for GR8lover's stock driveshaft. If I break this one, the next step is a Dynotech unit for sure. I don't have a clunk going on but a lot of vibration between 45 and 70mph when accelerating hard.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, no prob. I bought these couplers from the Camaro forum, just incase mine were bad.

Keep me posted on how it goes.
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi...

Obviously this is a pretty old thread but I figured I'd post anyway since my issue seems to be the same as what the OP was dealing with. My symptoms are nearly identical to what is shown in his video. I've got more trouble-shooting to try but if my situation is due to bad rubber drive-shaft couplers or the differential bushings that ended up being the cause of the OP's clunking sound, how difficult is it to replace those items? Is it a driveway job or is it something that needs to be done on a lift?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RuLEoF2 View Post
    Hi...

Obviously this is a pretty old thread but I figured I'd post anyway since my issue seems to be the same as what the OP was dealing with. My symptoms are nearly identical to what is shown in his video. I've got more trouble-shooting to try but if my situation is due to bad rubber drive-shaft couplers or the differential bushings that ended up being the cause of the OP's clunking sound, how difficult is it to replace those items? Is it a driveway job or is it something that needs to be done on a lift?

Thanks.
    The Diff bushings are definately not a driveway job, especially if they are the oem bushing which will need to be pressed or drilled out.

Couldn't tell you on the driveshaft couplers, sorry.
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while and I tried to get this pinned down but no luck. I took it to a transmission shop and the tech there said that he didn't think it transmission related but rather a bad mount somewhere. I took it back to my regular mechanic and they said that all the mounts were fine. So, I kinda gave up for a while.

Over the weekend, I had the rear wheels off and noticed a fair amount of slop in the drive. Take a listen and tell me what you think. Is this normal?

https://www.mediafire.com/download/moxqeyvgw2vqzga
    Current:
    2016 Chevy SS - "Some Like it Hot" Red Metallic

Previous:
    2009 G8 GT - Sport Red, Sport Package, Vararam CAI, Borla Exhaust