Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear End Clunk - Driveline

Post Thanks / Like

Video of Driveshaft movement, LMK if you think this is an issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4BqcveV_Ds
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

While I was under, I also tried twisting the front of the driveshaft by the Tranny. That side didn't seem to make as much noise. There was only a very tiny amount of play up there, compared to the rear it seemed.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing

While looking at the Diff I noticed that the Pass side bushing had a little gap, I am wondering if I can tighten that up some?

Driver Side, No gap:

Pass Side, Gap:

[COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. I noticed the same clunk after I put in my gForce axles and thought it was the new CV joints in the axles, but when I went under there to check, I have the exact same slop in the driveshaft/diff as in your video. So, not sure if it's normal slop or if I'm starting down the slow path of killing my diff.
    Todd

2009.5 G8 GXP, M6, Liquid Red, Sunroof #1769

Show: CTS-V Wheels, HSV Sliding Console, HSV Triple Gauge Pod with Front Smokers Pack
    Go: TVS2300, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids with HFCs, Corsa Cat Back, RotoFab CAI, Livernois Tune, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, gForce 750HP Axles
    528 RWHP 498 RWTQ
    11.69 @ 123.25 (1.94 60' Spinning)

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie told me that some play is ok, so I am not sure if that is what is causing my clunking.

I'm hoping others who have had this issue will post what the found for a cure.
    [COLOR="#000000"]

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

Post Thanks / Like

There's always a little bit of play in the shaft through the gears in the diff. But various mods either increase it or make it more apparent.

New bushings in the rear end will make the clunk more noticeable because they transmit it to the chassis. Rawzyf, it looks like you're running the BMR Street bushings, so that'll give you some noticeable transmission of additional diff noise. You may also notice a slight whine on the highway even though your diff fluid is topped up.

I also wouldn't worry about that gap between the bushing "flange" and diff unless the bolt through the diff is loose. The gap between the bushing flange and the diff body will be there because the bushings are internally mated to one another and that half couldn't be pressed in any further.

If you're running GForce axles, the CV joints do have ever so slightly more play. You can evince this by putting the rear up, leaving the car in gear (or in Park to lock the shaft) with the parking brake off, and rotating a wheel by hand. The shaft shouldn't be allowed to move by the transmission, but that lone wheel will still wiggle back and forth. In my car, this does result in a very noticeable low speed clunk when switching from forward to reverse and back. It's been there and more noticeable since the day I installed both the differential bushings and the GForce shafts, but 12,000 miles later, it's still good to go.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 10-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

check diff. fluid; a drain and refill with carbon diff. fluid cured my noise problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jscruick View Post
    check diff. fluid; a drain and refill with carbon diff. fluid cured my noise problem!
    That is something to try, and it's not too spendy. GM dealers stock the stuff, and it's about $35 per liter, I want to say. You'll need two. I want to say the diff takes... 1.4 quarts? If the fluid's never been changed, it can't hurt, either.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    There's always a little bit of play in the shaft through the gears in the diff. But various mods either increase it or make it more apparent.

New bushings in the rear end will make the clunk more noticeable because they transmit it to the chassis. Rawzyf, it looks like you're running the BMR Street bushings, so that'll give you some noticeable transmission of additional diff noise. You may also notice a slight whine on the highway even though your diff fluid is topped up.

I also wouldn't worry about that gap between the bushing "flange" and diff unless the bolt through the diff is loose. The gap between the bushing flange and the diff body will be there because the bushings are internally mated to one another and that half couldn't be pressed in any further.

If you're running GForce axles, the CV joints do have ever so slightly more play. You can evince this by putting the rear up, leaving the car in gear (or in Park to lock the shaft) with the parking brake off, and rotating a wheel by hand. The shaft shouldn't be allowed to move by the transmission, but that lone wheel will still wiggle back and forth. In my car, this does result in a very noticeable low speed clunk when switching from forward to reverse and back. It's been there and more noticeable since the day I installed both the differential bushings and the GForce shafts, but 12,000 miles later, it's still good to go.
    Thanks... I've read that other people notice a little bump with the gForce axles. I'm not panicking about it right now as everything is still pretty solid in the driveline and even on DRs, I haven't noticed any issues. With all the extra power I have since the Maggie, I'm actually VERY cautious about taking up driveline slack before doing a burnout or launch though... especially now that I see what kind of slop there is in the driveline. The last thing I need is for all that torque to get a running start at my drivetrain!
    Todd

2009.5 G8 GXP, M6, Liquid Red, Sunroof #1769

Show: CTS-V Wheels, HSV Sliding Console, HSV Triple Gauge Pod with Front Smokers Pack
    Go: TVS2300, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids with HFCs, Corsa Cat Back, RotoFab CAI, Livernois Tune, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, gForce 750HP Axles
    528 RWHP 498 RWTQ
    11.69 @ 123.25 (1.94 60' Spinning)

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same sound. Hasn't caused any issues, but is very noticeable
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft