Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Winter tire season is coming; here's what you need to know

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter tire season is coming; here's what you need to know

Here's what you need to consider before buying ;

Always consider your driving style and local conditions. If you don't see much snow during the winter, and you like to drive/corner fast on cold dry roads then look into the H-rated or V-rated "high performance" winter tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 or Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.

If your area gets heavier snow, and/or are often driving on packed snow and ice then look into a more aggressive "Studless Ice and Snow" tire. Among the best of this type are the Blizzak WS-70, Michelin XIce XI3, and Continental Extreme Winter Contact. Winter tires like these will offer the best in snow and ice traction, but will give up some dry road responsiveness over the more performance oriented H/V rated snow tires to get that additional traction.

If deep snow is your only concern and ice is almost never an issue, you can save some money and get the Firestone Winterforce or General Altimax Arctic. These two models have very aggressive tread patterns that make them exceptional in snow, but they lack the specialized rubber compound needed for good ice traction (which makes them less expensive). You can add studs to either model ( $15) to improve traction, but studs have been outlawed in many states and may put the combined price of the tire and studding very close to a Studless Ice and Snow tire......

Choosing between these two categories may be difficult and is mostly a personal preference choice for the trade off between snow traction versus dry road handling. Any dedicated snow tire will do better than a standard "all season" tire in light snow and ice, but keep in mind the worst conditions the tire may see and use that as a frame of reference.

--New/Updated products for 2012/2013 season:

The Michelin XIce XI3 has replaced the XI2 in nearly all sizes (with remaining sizes marked down for clearance). The tread pattern appears to be very similar between the two, but Michelin has increased the speed rating on the new model (in most sizes) in an effort to improve the "clear road" handling compared to the previous model. The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 will be slowly replacing the Pilot Alpin PA3 in a few sizes this season as well, with the same goal of improving dry road handling.

A few years back, the Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 replaced the Blizzak LM25. In the past the Blizzak LM25 and the popular Dunlop WinterSport 3D tires were considered very equal to each other in snow traction and in dry road handling/cornering and were the tires of choice in this category. The redesigned LM60 is moves the balance closer to the snow traction side of the equation by using the more aggressive tread pattern of the WS60 but with a compound and construction of a high performance snow tire like the Dunlop WinterSport 3D. This tire will be an ideal choice for someone having trouble deciding between the high performance snow tires that sacrifice a lot of snow traction and the Studless Ice and Snow tires that lack crisp handling and dry grip. Having used the LM60 on my Pontiac G8 GT last year, I feel the LM60 ideally suits many drivers needs in this forum well for an ideal balance of snow/ice traction while still keeping acceptable dry handling and grip for the non-snowy days.

And one last thing;

Don't wait too long. Ordering early when most products are still available lets you choose what you want to buy rather than being forced to settle for what is left over. We have been hit with delays and shortages from our manufacturers already ! Tires and wheels purchased together are mounted and balanced at no charge to make changeover easy, and Genuine GM TPM sensors can be added for $ 35 per wheel.

Click here for more info !
    2009 G8 GT Sport Red Metallic Premium/Sport
    (Supercar Coilovers / Breyton staggered 19" / Pypes axlebacks / Rotofab / etc)
    1966 Catalina Convertible
    1951 Catalina Super Deluxe 8 Hardtop (sold)

Post Thanks / Like

Splat! It's stuck...

WS-70's here and DAMN! IMO, if this car sat higher, I'd be dang near unstoppable!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Got my WS70's on Moda MD14's sitting in the garage waiting to go on. Had WS60's on my GTO before I got the G8 and loved them. Made the GTO a tank. Cant wait to try the WS70s on the g8. Got them from TireRack to a few weeks ago!
    2015 Chevy SS, Sunroof, M6, No Spare, Perfect Blue Metallic
    Appearance: Complete LED conversion, 6000K HID Bulb Swap, Holden Front and Rear Badges
    Electronics: A119S DashCam with Hide-a-fuse
    Go Stuff: Custom DiabLew 93 Octane Tune,
    Stop: Hawk Ceramic Pads
    Wheels: (Winter)ModaBlack w/ 245/55/18 Michelin XICE3. (Summer)Stock 19" Rims, Michelin Pilot Sports 4S

Gone But not Forgotten:
    2009 Sport Red Metallic G8 GT, Premium Package
    2005 Cyclone Gray Metallic GTO, M6
    2006 Stealth Gray Metallic G6 GTP
    2003 Sans Gold Metallic Sunfire

Post Thanks / Like

Great info... thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice update!
    2008 G8GT #110 of #888 Ignition Orange, 20 Inch Savini SV8 Wheels, Maggie 1900, VMS DOD Delete Stock Converter Cam, Pedders XA Street Plus, Kook's 1 3/4 LT's, Rotofab CAI, VMS Tune, Mustang Dyno 522 RWHP/489.3 TQ

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the LM25's... great tire and really impressed me. Im sure the others are equal if not better.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna keep my G8 on the FK452's. I'll keep the pressure up so they don't flat spot.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably going to general gmax

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running WS-70's for the past 3 winters. Doc helped guide me to them originally. One of the best decisions I've made for the G8. Great winter performance.

Thanks Doc!

Mike
    2009 MSM-Onyx G8, Premium Package, Sunroof, Comfort and Sound Package
    VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II, Pontiac Cargo Tray, Trunk Lid Liner, Auto Dim Mirror, Garmin 1450LMT
    , Mobil 1

Other Cars:
    2014 Terrain SLT
    2012 Malibu LT
    2009 Impala LS
    1967 Bonneville Convertible - Completely Original/No Restoration 56000 Original Miles No Winters NYS Car

Post Thanks / Like

May be a dumb question will 245/55 19 fit?