Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Mosport track day coming up...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mosport track day coming up...

So I've had the G8 out at Calabogie twice now and have fallen in love with this car all over again! I've only done 50-60 laps in total by my rough math but the last few were solo and that's really when the magic happened. Driving with an instructor and driving solo were very different experiences; without the instructors I would have never found the right lines and was given good tips on how to track my stupidly heavy car. However, a passenger can't feel the car the same way the driver can and as a result usually thinks you're losing control before you actually are. I was able to attack the track much more aggressively without the passenger (but with his info) and had an AWESOME run.

The only 'issue' I had was that I was on the track with slower cars and fast cars with slow drivers so never had anyone catch up to me. Once I get into a faster group I'm sure this will change ;-P

I've got an event coming up at Mosport which is a faster track than Calabogie. Has anybody run Mosport in their G8? I reached 180KPH on the front of Bogie and 200KPH on the back so am wondering how fast I'll get to.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

The Mosport (now the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park) day was incredible! It is a very fast course as you are able to carry a lot of speed through most of the track. I had a great instructor that never slowed me down and only offered corrections when necessary; a really nice old guy.

The car ran awesome and the only thing I'll want to have next time is better tires. I'm still running the tired old RS-A's at the track as they just don't want to wear out! However, as soon as I can get my hands on another pair of Conti tracks tires I'll retire the Eagles. There was a supercharged GXP on the track for half the day and although we talked quite a bit I never caught his forum name (PM me if you read this!!!).

I have two videos (both shaky...this was my first time using the GoPro's and I need to find better mounting spots for them), one of just myself, and the other mainly of me sticking behind my buddies IS-F so he could have some camera time. His car is fast but after my cam he just can't keep up. Enjoy!

IS-F and G8

Solo Run

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the guy with the GXP if on the forums. If I recall though hes the service manager at Hogan Chevrolet, and Ive never seen him here, I meet him at Cayuga doing the 1320'

I was surprised to hear the tires screaming link that, then I read what you were running. The RS-A'a just don't cut it!.. What Conti tires are you looking at?
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic219_1.gif
    2009 Phantom Metallic G8 GTS
    Appearance;HSV Fenders | HSV GTS Spoiler | GXP Bumper | GXP Diffuser | HSV Triple Gauges with Dash/Console conversion(First in North America) | HSV GTS Sport Steering Wheel | 20% tint | 6.0 Litre V8 Badges | Blacked out Window & Grill Chrome| V6 door handles | Tinted Tails/Front Side Markers
    Performance; Tuned | Roto Fab CAI | SLP Long tube Headers & PowerFlow axlebacks | Xpipe | DOD Delete | GTO LS2 Cam | Forged Rods & Pistons
    Handling; XA Coilovers | BMR Swaybars | "EXTREMEContact" tires
    Coming soon; Boost!

12.9199 @ 106mph <old setup, before DOD delete/GTO cam/Forging

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterg22000 View Post
    I don't think the guy with the GXP if on the forums. If I recall though hes the service manager at Hogan Chevrolet, and Ive never seen him here, I meet him at Cayuga doing the 1320'
    He told me he was on the 'other' board. I told him to check out this site as well but you're right, I don't think he frequents boards.

Quote Originally Posted by peterg22000 View Post
    I was surprised to hear the tires screaming link that, then I read what you were running. The RS-A'a just don't cut it!.. What Conti tires are you looking at?
    I have two Continental Extreme Contact DR's but obviously need 2 more before I can make use of them. I'll have to wait until next spring/summer when the used ones start popping up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool videos Grant! Good to see the g8 doing well in the twisties.

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't watched these videos in a while...I am really looking forward to going back ASAP!

Peter, I found a tire guy online (Jon Berget) that sells used track tires. I'm going to get another pair of Conti's and a set of wet track tires for the upcoming season. Hopefully it cuts down on the noise and will let me power into and out of those fast turns.

Any chance another G8 would come onto the track?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be down!
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic219_1.gif
    2009 Phantom Metallic G8 GTS
    Appearance;HSV Fenders | HSV GTS Spoiler | GXP Bumper | GXP Diffuser | HSV Triple Gauges with Dash/Console conversion(First in North America) | HSV GTS Sport Steering Wheel | 20% tint | 6.0 Litre V8 Badges | Blacked out Window & Grill Chrome| V6 door handles | Tinted Tails/Front Side Markers
    Performance; Tuned | Roto Fab CAI | SLP Long tube Headers & PowerFlow axlebacks | Xpipe | DOD Delete | GTO LS2 Cam | Forged Rods & Pistons
    Handling; XA Coilovers | BMR Swaybars | "EXTREMEContact" tires
    Coming soon; Boost!

12.9199 @ 106mph <old setup, before DOD delete/GTO cam/Forging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mosport track day coming up...

Good to know! I'll be trying to get out in the spring so will try to remember to send you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk