Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Ginsu - G8 Sunroof Controller Add-on

Post Thanks / Like

Default Project Ginsu - G8 Sunroof Controller Add-on

Inspired by kbueckert's work on G8Board, Project Ginsu is an add-on module for the factory sunroof control module. It does not replace the module, but rather interfaces with it and is interposed between the switch and the module. This lets it "talk" to the module with some intelligence and control power to the module, allowing it to add several useful features.

Feature List

• For 2009.5 model year G8's, the roof will move to the selected position when the position is selected with the switch, with no need to hold the button.
    • When the car is turned off, if the roof is open it will automatically close. This feature can be disabled. Optionally, if the roof is open to a "vent" position, the roof will not auto-close.
    • If the roof automatically closed last time the car was turned off, it will automatically re-open to the last remembered position when the car is restarted. This feature can be disabled.
    • Backwards compatibility with 2008/2009 G8's is supported to also provide those model years with auto-close/open functionality.
    • All solid-state design has no moving parts to wear out.
    • Fully plug-and-play using GM harnesses. No need for soldering or cutting of stock wiring.

Current Target Price: $100

Current Project Status:
    In Development

Current Project Phase: Programming

Remaining Tasks:
    • Complete programming - In progress
    • Prototype fully custom circuit onto new breadboard with custom power supply - In progress
    • Create custom prototype board and solder components onto board
    • Alpha test board in own car
    • Beta test several copies in local Raleigh volunteer vehicles

Current Project Teaser

Full Description of Features

• Sunroof Switch Operation
      For both 2009.5 and 2008/2009 model year cars, the desired sunroof position may be selected by turning the switch and tapping the button to select the desired position. Optionally, the controller may be configured to operate like a 2008/2009 controller: turn to open, press to pause.
      NOTE: 2008/2009 model year cars that do not support pausing currently will not be able to support pausing with my module. This may change.
    • Auto Close
      After the ignition is turned off, the controller will offer a ~5 second window during which the user may select a new position or cancel the close by selecting the current position. If the user does not, the roof will fully close and the module will be powered off. Optionally, vent positions may be excluded from auto-close.
    • Auto Open
      When the ignition is turned on, if the roof was previously allowed to auto-close, it will beep twice and notify the user with a flashing LED that it is about to restore the previous sunroof position. After a ~10 second window the roof will auto-open. Pressing the button on any position will cancel the auto-open.
    • Menu Configurability
      A menu will be offered through the switch by pressing and holding on the "Roof Close" position by which you may configure the module. You will be able to tell it how your stock roof operates: 2009.5 requiring button hold, 2008/2009 supporting turn-to-open and pause, 2008/2009 supporting only turn-to-open. You will also be able to turn off the beep and enable/disable auto-close and auto-open.
    • Panic Mode
      The 2009.5 model year change was likely made due to a safety defect in the module by which the obstruction detection does not function properly. Building a module which forces the roof to operate continuously until it reaches the desired position defeats this safety feature. In an attempt to provide some safety and security, I will attempt to implement a "Panic" feature by which a quick double-tap on the switch will shut off power to the module, bringing the roof to a halt. Thereafter, the desired new position should be selected to open the roof and clear the obstruction.

Disclaimers
    I apologize if these seem a bit harsh, but after seeing how the thread on G8Board went downhill, I feel these are necessary.

• If you feel you are able to assist me with this project, feel free to send me a PM. If I accept your offer of help, terms will be discussed in email or PM. However, having merely offered help grants you no rights to determine scheduling, feature set, or price of the final product.
    • Feel free to suggest features. I will take them into consideration, but I am under no obligation to accept your suggestion. Further, acceptance of your suggestion grants you no rights or entitlement to proceeds of any profits I may garner from this project, nor does it grant you a say in scheduling, feature set, or price of the final product.
    • As mentioned above, the GM sunroof module reprogramming between 2008/2009 and 2009.5 likely exists due to a defect in the obstruction detection of the Webasto module. Requiring that the user hold the button is safer in case someone inserts their arm into the sunroof while it is closing. My controller add-on will defeat this safety feature. As such, your use of this product affirms your consent to waiver of liability in case of injury or damage resulting from the use of this add-on. Should this project make it to production, I will include a proper waiver with each module. I will endeavor, however, to add safety to the product by building in a "panic" mode that will kill power to the module, stopping the roof.
    • If I find I am unable to complete this project satisfactorily, I reserve the right to withdraw this project with no final product produced or sold.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 09-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

By the numbers...

B+ supply voltage: varies from approximately 11 volts during cranking to 14.7 while the alternator is running.

For those of you wondering why I locked myself in the trunk of my own car, I was measuring the current use of the car when the car is turned off. Sleep current consumption for the car is approximately 20 milliamps.

Ignition supply voltage is Battery+ line switched by ignition switch. No regulation.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 08-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Tease...
    Len

White Hot 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
    TVS1900 | Custom Texas Speed & Performance cam spec'd and remote tuned by Patrick Guerra | LS9 Injectors | Rotofab CAI | Corsa catback | Kooks 1-7/8" LTs with catted connectors

Post Thanks / Like

It better work!
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be a nice feature. I will keep my eye on this. Good luck with the project.
    Last edited by Kermit; 08-19-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    2009 G8 GT MGM.
    Performance - 1900 MagnaCharger , Lunati Cam, RCR Ported Heads, Intake and TB, FAST #65 Injectors, CTS-v fuel pump, Kooks 1 3/4" LT and Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator Axel-Back, VCM OTR, RX Oil Catch Can, Pedders XA's & Track II Bushings, BMR Sub Frame Connectors, Sway Bars & Rear Control Arms, 19 Inch Staggered (8.5 front/9.5 Rear) VMR 810 Wheels, DBA 4000 Sloted Rotors with Hawk HPS Pads & Russels Brake Lines, Camaro 3.27 Diff, Gforce Axles.
    Cosmetic - Partially De-badged Rear, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side, Rear Markers & Tail Lights, 35% Tint, Auto-dim Mirror, Spencers 6K 35W & 5K 25W Fog HIDS, Blacked Out Door Chrome, Vagas Nates 3 Gauge Pod W/Interceptor Gauges, Color Matched GXP Diffuser, Shark Fin Antenna, V-LEDs on Side/Rear Markers, Brakes & Back Ups Lights, MM Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler

1/4 mile 10.917 at 130.44mph 564 RWHP 568 Torque.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated posts to include project teaser, information, and explanation for why I was "fitting bodies" in the trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy it for $100!
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! This will be nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to buy one, especially if it closes itself when I shut the car off, A-MAZE-ING!
    I wish I knew anything about electronics.

iPhone, Tapatalk, enough said!
    Team G8

Modifications...
    Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
    Cortex Tune
    V8 6.0 Litre Badge
    Color Matched Headlights
    BE by Breyton Wheels (19x8.5 +45 Front, 19x9.5 +45 Rear)
    Continental ExtremeContact DWS (245/40/19 Front, 275/35/19 Rear)

Coming Soon...
    DOD Delete
    Heads
    Headers
    Cat-Back Exhaust...bought, just needs installing

Post Thanks / Like

Interested!
    Subscribed!
    Kevin
    2009 SRM G8 GXP A6 + Roof
    Go
    Vararam CAI