Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Shifters

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the wireless has been done, don't need to worry about the clocksrpring. Details on the other forum.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

How long would that battery run the led's for? If I find I want them back after going the wired paddle shifter route would having a wireless set up for the led's be possible?

Or, can they be powered through the other buttons even if they are on all of the time? The horn must have constant power to it...
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The battery would not last long for the LEDS but the real question is, the leds come when the headlights - there would be no control and they would be on all the time -no longer automatic.

At this time, the best solution would be to tap the onstar line for 12v to run the transmitter. Since the controls function on voltage drops on the 12v line (see schematics), it's possible that when the voltage drops when the transmitter is activated, it could be interpreted by the BCM as a command. The transmitter draws 15mA steady, not sure if there is a transient at the beginning my meter did not pick-up.

I simply did not have time to give this a try right now. Perhaps it will be on my list when the car to dormant this winter.
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    The battery would not last long for the LEDS but the real question is, the leds come when the headlights - there would be no control and they would be on all the time -no longer automatic.

At this time, the best solution would be to tap the onstar line for 12v to run the transmitter. Since the controls function on voltage drops on the 12v line (see schematics), it's possible that when the voltage drops when the transmitter is activated, it could be interpreted by the BCM as a command. The transmitter draws 15mA steady, not sure if there is a transient at the beginning my meter did not pick-up.

I simply did not have time to give this a try right now. Perhaps it will be on my list when the car to dormant this winter.
    So, would I be able to tap into the Onstar 12V line to power the LEDs? If I have removed the ONSTAR box will that line still have power? I'm not concerned if the LEDs are on all of the time...they should last quite a while.

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it still should have power. The "onstar" wire also controls the DIC and some radio functions. It all depends on how much load the LEDS place in the line. May not seem like much but it may impact the other functions. See post 27 in the other board thread for schematics.

The 12v "onstar" line is not intended to power anything. It's a signal line.
    Sport /Premium

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with JCM, the 12V "onstar" line is a signal, i dont believe it is fused. This could be dangerous to use for power as it may cause damage by drawing too much current. (even tho leds don't draw much) I dont think id be willing to be the Guinea pig on that. A bcm could be very costly.

Ps, i am still waiting on parts to do the first shroud for one member. I will post when that one is done and im ready for the next.
    Last edited by Dblaron; 06-06-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

'nuff said. No lights it is...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested.
    - Matt

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Done. Wireless too!
    Sport /Premium

Post Thanks / Like

I want to do this to my GXP. I have a spare steering wheel already. Amazon is where to get the paddles?