176 35.56%
  • Orssom

7 1.41%
  • VCM

28 5.66%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Air Intakes

Post Thanks / Like

VCM or Vararam? Going with one soon...Advantages/disadvantages of one or the other? Does Vararam require moving the radiator like someone previously posted about? Never saw an answer. Also, is there a good mountable cover for the hole/space that is left on the dirvers side below when you remove all of the stock intake pieces? Looks to me like Zepcom has an awesome cover in his album pictures. Picture of his VCM intake and a cover for that area that mounts to the existing holes?
    2008 G8 GT. Ignition Orange Metallic.
    SHOW: 6000K DDM HID's, 6000K LED Fogs, Interior LEDs, Video In Park from Speedisking, IOM Shark Fin, GXP Diffuser, 15% Tint, 15% tint front/rear reflectors.
    GO: Solo Mach Unbalanced Catback
    Mods coming soon: Roto-Fab Carbon Fiber CAI, EFI Live Tune by Wait4MePerformance, Kooks Mids w/ HFC

Post Thanks / Like

The vararam intake tilts the radiator back a few degrees. A Holden V6 rad cover can be modified to cover the space. I've had this for over two years and have had no issues.
    I can meet you in say, Logansport if you want to see my car.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nifong08iom View Post
    VCM or Vararam? Going with one soon...Advantages/disadvantages of one or the other?
    Ignoring any performance gain one might claim over the other.

Vararam is roughly half the price of VCM shipped.
    Vararam is made in USA with parts and support available locally.
    Yes you need to tilt the radiator back for Vararam, dozens have done this with no issue.

VCM VE Fascia Panels for each side are roughly the same cost as a V6 Holden radiator cover to finish off a Vararam.
    3_m.jpg DSCN0181_1265.jpg

VCM Infill Panel should work just as well for either system.
    Infill_Panel_front_m.jpg
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The VCM has much better fit and finish in comparison to the Vararam. That's what your getting for the tremendous price difference. I vote for the VCM after seeing one with covers in person. MUCH more solid intake.
    Performance mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Rick Crawford Ported Intake Manifold, Rick Crawford head work Can, Formato Ported Throttle Body, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Solo catted Mach Balance exhaust, Circle D 258MM 2800 Stall, 226/230 .598/.608 113+1 cam, BMR complete bushing kit, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders caster, camber & toe adjustment kits, BMR Sway Bars, BMR Sway Bar End Links, Camaro Brembo's w/custom powder coating. 11.90@116.58 1.78 60' on 20" All Season Tires

Post Thanks / Like

I have no regrets at all about spending the additional money on the VCM with the side panels and infill panel. It gave me a 2 tenths improvement on the track even without a tune (YET!). The fit and finish are top notch! The Vararam is a nice piece too, but the filter is smaller and it doesn't look quite as complete when installed.
    Joe Morgan, G8 GXP Registry Organizer, G.O.N.E. Organizer
    2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx/red no roof 12.921 @ 108.89 BONE STOCK! (then), (now) 12.344 @ 110.92 with 1.688 60' at 766' DA, PB with new cam & tune 12.191 @ 112.35, 2:59 Second Lap Time Road America (Goodyear RS-As & Hawk HP Plus pads with stock rotors), 143.1298 mph NoFlyZoneMidwest 2017 1/2 mile into 20 mph headwind. RACECAR NOW RETIRED. All of these are final PBs.

VCM OTR CAI, HSRK, Heater Hose Relocate, custom street/dyno tune by oldskoolgp, Comp Cams 224/228 .581"/.588" 112 LSA cam, LS7 lifters, PAC 1219x springs, Monster LT1S (C7 Corvette) Clutch kit, Katech C6 Hvy Dty Master & Slave Cylinders, Camaro 1LE Diff with 3.91 gears, Kooks LTHs, Solo Hi-Flo Cats & Connector Pipes, Solo Mach Balanced Catback, BMR Toe Rods, Trailing Arms, Cradle & Diff Poly Bushings, 2017 Chevy SS front & rear Brembo calipers and rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, im a new g8 owner and after reading 12 pages I still can't decide on a particular one lol. I know from prior cars debating CAIs is almost always pointless since they provide similar results. I think that ive narrowed it down to the Vararam and Volant. Being that the Vararam is almost $60 more then the Volant would it justify the purchase? I like the whole ram air concept but for the added cost is it really worth it? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Orssom, go big or go home!

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by viperguy212 View Post
    Hey all, im a new g8 owner and after reading 12 pages I still can't decide on a particular one lol. I know from prior cars debating CAIs is almost always pointless since they provide similar results. I think that ive narrowed it down to the Vararam and Volant. Being that the Vararam is almost $60 more then the Volant would it justify the purchase? I like the whole ram air concept but for the added cost is it really worth it? Thanks
    Not too many running the Volant system on G8s. Vararam and RotoFab are the top 2.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

liberalism is pro-retard MoonPie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going Volant, want to try something different. We'll see how it goes.
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    black with black trackhawk wheels and loaded sans DVD player

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the VCM Intake added to the Poll. It would be interesting to see how many have it and how many want it?