Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 110

Thread: Oil Cooler (tons of info enclosed)

  1. #11
    OCD DIYer Eidolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    That is why I was looking at the GM system. It is tied into the coolent system for that reason.
    So it would circulate through the radiator alongside the coolant as well using direction connections like the trans cooler? Or would it use a separate exchange box kinda like this guy? The PWR unit may not be a bad idea. It'd consolidate all heat into the engine coolant, which is running through the radiator anyway. Oh yeah, and PWR also sells an aluminum radiator for our cars.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

    Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

  2. #12
    Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Huh. Good to know. So we could also mix up a custom system. It would be nice to have a bypass valve to shut off the cooler on colder days so the oil didn't get too cold. Would there be any downside you can think of, Paul, to having oil sitting in the cooler that didn't circulate?
    MOCAL thermostatic oil cooler adapter (GM LS engines)
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-engines.html

    I can't think of a downside.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

  3. #13
    OCD DIYer Eidolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300 View Post
    MOCAL thermostatic oil cooler adapter (GM LS engines)
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...s-engines.html

    I can't think of a downside.
    Hmm. His post says it won't fit the Commodore due to the alternator placement. I wonder if there's a way around that. If not, it can't be the only thermostatic adapter on the market.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

    Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

  4. #14
    Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Hmm. His post says it won't fit the Commodore due to the alternator placement.
    No.
    It won't fit front sump oilpans.
    VT-VZ Commodore and GTO's had front sump oilpans.


    VE Commodode is OK......it's not front sump.
    Rear Sump oil pan.
    Last edited by Crazy Paul; 03-22-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

  5. #15
    OCD DIYer Eidolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300 View Post
    No.
    It won't fit front sump oilpans.
    VT-VZ Commodore and GTO's had front sump oilpans.

    VE Commodode is OK......it's not front sump.
    Ah ha! Man, options. I like this.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

    Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

  6. #16
    Vendors Greg@PacePerformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boardman, Ohio
    Posts
    3,175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    So it would circulate through the radiator alongside the coolant as well using direction connections like the trans cooler? Or would it use a separate exchange box kinda like this guy? The PWR unit may not be a bad idea. It'd consolidate all heat into the engine coolant, which is running through the radiator anyway. Oh yeah, and PWR also sells an aluminum radiator for our cars.
    The PPV unit is like the Camaro and Corvette ZR1 piece. It has a fined exchanger that mounts on the block then has quick connect fittings that tap into a port on the block and into the upper radiator hose so coolent circulates around.
    I'm waiting for the exchanger to arrive from GM so I can see if it fits with my headers and on the wifes stock GT
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

    2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

  7. #17
    OCD DIYer Eidolon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    The PPV unit is like the Camaro and Corvette ZR1 piece. It has a fined exchanger that mounts on the block then has quick connect fittings that tap into a port on the block and into the upper radiator hose so coolent circulates around.
    I'm waiting for the exchanger to arrive from GM so I can see if it fits with my headers and on the wifes stock GT
    Nice! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

    Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the help guys. I've ordered the Lingenfelter adapter, as i don't need to bypass the cooler, as it never gets that cold here in SA.
    I'm also thinking of installing a high pressure / high flow oil pump. I've heard good things about the Melling oil pumps.
    2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS - Silver. Roto-Fab CAI. Custom exhaust and Brospeed headers.
    Livernois Stage 2c cam with FAST 102 intake. Powerbond UDP.
    BMR Sub-Frame Connectors. Spohn LCA's. Pedders Supercar Coilovers.
    493 Hp
    12.9 (Road tires, unprepared track)

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've looked at the melling pumps, and according to their website pump 10296 is a high volume version of the standard pump. Can't find a high volume, high pressure pump.
    Is this the correct one for our cars?
    2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS - Silver. Roto-Fab CAI. Custom exhaust and Brospeed headers.
    Livernois Stage 2c cam with FAST 102 intake. Powerbond UDP.
    BMR Sub-Frame Connectors. Spohn LCA's. Pedders Supercar Coilovers.
    493 Hp
    12.9 (Road tires, unprepared track)

  10. #20
    Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage-wp View Post
    I've looked at the melling pumps, and according to their website pump 10296 is a high volume version of the standard pump. Can't find a high volume, high pressure pump.
    Is this the correct one for our cars?
    Your car has the 6.0 L98 engine which has no AFM hardware installed. From factory the L98 had a stock volume oil pump.
    The 6.0 AFM engines (L76 & L77) have higher volume oil pumps fitted.

    Melling 10295 is stock volume with a 10% pressure increase = higher pressure oil pump.

    Melling 10296 is a higher volume pump....it pumps something like 15 to 18% more volume.
    It comes with 2 springs. If the blue spring is fitted it will output normal pressure. Fit the red spring and it will output higher pressure.
    10296 with a red spring will give you higher volume & higher pressure than a stock pump.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •