Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclonic intake canister.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclonic intake canister.

Had a brain storm this evening while cleaning the dust out of my Dyson™ upright vacuum cleaner. For those unfamiliar with this type of machine, it has no bag and very little need for much in the way of traditional filter medium. There is a HEPA filter on the exhaust side that still looks brand new after over two years use. The dirt laden air is drawn through a series of funnel shaped cyclone tubes that accelerate the air and cause it to spin. It spins so fast in fact that most of the dust and particulate matter is spun right out. The debris stays behind in the canister to be emptied later. The effectiveness of this is evident in that there is almost nothing on the exhaust filter or on the outside of the unit, nothing escapes. Wonder if it would be possible to design a cyclonic air intake kit for a car engine that the air would be drawn through before reaching the filter or throttle body. If you could accelerate the air fast enough to spin out dust, it would also force more into the intake. The dust could be collected in a canister and emptied periodically like the vacuum, thus extending air filter life if the filter is downstream of the device. Would this work?
    Allen

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Allen moved you here to the Intake/Exhaust section where it'd fit in better.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno about on a car but I hear Dysons are far from the best vacuum cleaners. Never had one so can't say.

Post Thanks / Like

Default intake

Don't know who has the best vacuum but the technology is sound even if its execution in the product is not the best. Bet something like this could be designed for a car.
    Allen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allencga View Post
    Don't know who has the best vacuum but the technology is sound even if its execution in the product is not the best. Bet something like this could be designed for a car.
    Could be. Shall we look forward to the Allen Tornado Intake?

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt be surprised and I would test it for him.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Is this a stretch or what????

A Eureka G8!!!!!!

RRM
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

It could be done, it will all come down to the actual cfm that it is capable of flowing and how many microns it sizes particles at.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dyson and the damn thing pulled the corner threads right off of my rugs That's one powerful vacuum. I've had it for 3 years and swap filters every 6 months. Wash and reuse filters are great and so is the vacuum.
    Last edited by SRG963; 08-16-2008 at 04:04 PM.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Good to here! Now come do my car! LOL