Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: BC Racing ER Coilovers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vz28 View Post
    ...New fronts have an additional stiffening rib on each side of the clevis mount and are made of higher grade steel according to the factory...Talking to BC-NA the newest BRs seem to use the same front mount...
    hi! thank you for all the info you've provided!
    i just installed bc-br's, and had a little issue with the clevis mount bracket doing an autocross with them...

let me know if the pics don't upload. can you tell if your's have the same clevis mount as mine?
    just wondering if this is the new design you spoke of.

the bent one. you can see even the camber bolt shifted from the contact spots in the paint

now compared to the straight one

the g8 pulled hard to the right on the way home from the autocross. that's the only way i knew to look for something. i'm so happy with them right now

another pic of the bent one

Last edited by MAC the KNIFE; 01-04-2015 at 01:06 PM.

2009 GT
    rotofab cai, kooks lt's, tune, 3.27 gears, bmr sways, 6/4 pot brembos, hawk hps, button paddle shifters, 275/30/20 square setup. occasionally autocrossed

PB = 12.783, 3.70 gears, fbo and tune.

Want better cabin filters at a lower price? Check my thread! 6 for $25!!!!
    http://www.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=38105

Post Thanks / Like

Bent for sure.
    Straighten it out and add as big as a washer as you can. I think they got loose to bend like that.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

bending it back can weaken the metal further, and washers will not help in this case.
    contact BC on monday about getting replacement clevis mounts.

Post Thanks / Like

What do I know only been a fabricator for ten years.
    It's not rocket appliances were working with here.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

doesn't make you right.
    I've seen your posts, and most of them show cheapness over quality/longevity. If you want to be cheap on your own stuff that's great, have at it, but to put someone else at risk because you're cheap and feel that you 'know better' is just wrong and irresponsible.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't call myself cheap. Just see alot of stuff unnecessary. The plates on these are more then twice as thick as the factory ones. And they are bent and formed to create the mounts.(edit: after looking at mine they are made from flat pieces. Still thinking bending back won't cause a problem) There most likely plain steel and a slight bend back and forth will not cause any stress fractures to worry about.
    And I have contacted BC plenty of times for parts and have not seen one real response. So good luck there.
    And if you have seen my fab work that wasn't under someone else's name that caused it to be cheap (because I don't work for free) Then you wouldn't think I'm cheap. But if your talking about the sway bar end links that you think "will wear out over time" witch yes they will but so will every other link you put in there. Then it seems to be a difference in opinion because we both look at something differently.

As far as my post on bend it back and putting someone in danger.
    If it was aluminum or hardened steel I would have said don't bend it back and explained why. Normal steel will be just fine with bending it back. And if quality and longevity is the top concern for "Mac the knife" he wouldn't have gotten BC and had some bilstein or koni's make for his car.

To each there own I guess
    Last edited by BuildItYourSelf; 01-04-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAC the KNIFE View Post
    hi! thank you for all the info you've provided!
    i just installed bc-br's, and had a little issue with the clevis mount bracket doing an autocross with them...

let me know if the pics don't upload. can you tell if your's have the same clevis mount as mine?
    just wondering if this is the new design you spoke of.

the bent one. you can see even the camber bolt shifted from the contact spots in the paint

As far as the ER goes that is the old design (same symptoms I had, they were NOT loose), I would assume the same for the BR but I cannot be sure. I contacted a vendor on this site for hi-res pictures of their BR stock to try to be proactive but they never responded.

Do NOT re-use that set. Welds are probably cracked along a few points as well. Check your suspension setup carefully to make sure everything else is in good shape and tight.

Call BC-USA, ask to talk to Tim or Scott about a failed G8 BR/ER unit - they are aware of this. Tell them what happened, e-mail the picture, ask for the latest design which should include a mid-clevis support rib and supposedly higher grade steel among other changes. I will give them a heads-up on this.

I believe this thread is to post your G8-specific BC experiences, suggestions and information, to benefit G8 owners.
    Last edited by Vz28; 01-04-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Yours are same as the ones I have here.

If you want to look for cracked in the weld you can clean them. Wipe them with an oil based solvent like lighter fluid or kero then wipe off as much as you can and then dust with chalk like in a chalk line.
    The oil will soak into the chalk and show all cracks. If the paint is still on then it could be a Crack there.

The most likely bent from loose bolts at the knuckle. The weight of the car will keep it somewhat in place on the small top bolt. If loose the would bend under breaking.
    These are far stronger then factory and I would imagine the first design would only have problems when other parts fail and then the strut needs to take the load.

If BC don't help you out I may have another set of them coming with bad seals and I'll give you the bottom part you need from them.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

While it may be possible this resulted from loose bolts, for my experiences I know this was not the case. It should be noted this issue never occurred for me during aggressive street driving, which is not the same as racing.

The OEM strut mount has been up to the task for the forces which can be imparted under specific racing conditions - heavy trail-braking, for example, which may have caused the twist shown here. The clevis mount is solidly integrated on the oem unit and I experienced zero issues with it with similar sustained overlapping lateral and longitudinal forces over many years. I asked the BC factory to examine the OEM mount design again prior to the last product update.

So far the latest ER strut mounts (version 3 based on my testing) have been up to the task in the same conditions but with less mileage.

I'm just trying to get G8 owners a better BC product through testing, so take advantage of that. I e-mailed them about this case so call them and get it taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

^ right on good note. Think they will do trade ins?
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885