Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone interested in G8 custom front brake vents for cooling?

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The G8 is now on the website!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Doug, I'll probably do these at some point. Any answer to the question on whether or not the ductwork allows lock to lock steering?
    "If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slow." -Ross Bentley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    Do you have any pictures of how it attaches to the grill?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    Once I have the new plates, I will install them and then take a look at just how far I can turn the wheel without interfering with the tubing. I actually went to the lock while parking today and will be interested to see if I damaged the tubing; hopefully it's not an issue at all but I'll have to check it out.
    Doug, I'm still interested in pics of the mounting of the tube behind the grill if possible.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I12XLR8 View Post
    Doug, I'm still interested in pics of the mounting of the tube behind the grill if possible.
    Sorry Grant! I didn't notice that request earlier. Here are some pics I took of the inlets just behind the lower grill inserts. The first one shows the driver's side with the grill insert in place while the others are the pass side without the grill insert. They are sending me a new set this week that will port it through the grill inserts and I will post those up when I install them. The inlets are just tie-wrapped in there for now.

driver's side inlet 2.jpgdriver's side inlet 3.jpginlet 1.jpgpass inlet 2.jpg
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
    Thx Doug, I'll probably do these at some point. Any answer to the question on whether or not the ductwork allows lock to lock steering?
    I try not to go lock to lock with them but when I put it up on ramps and took a look at the lock position, there was slight clearance to the tubing. I think you can do it as long as you secure the tubing adequately to the tie rod but it's very close. Actually this is better than I expected after talking to my suspension shop; they said you can't go lock to lock with brake vents but it looks like I'm getting away with it with this system. Keep in mind that with the stock 19 wheels. With the 18 inch track wheels I use, I'm sure there would be some interference but I can be careful not to go lock to lock on track days.

Post Thanks / Like

Website doesn't work, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm going to have to more seriously consider these. My brake caliper piston dust boots are cracked after two events, so I was looking into brake shims to act as an insulating barrier. I'd sent an email to Carbotech about brake shims, got a reply, and he said they don't recommend shims because it might protect the caliper, but it concentrates the heat in the rotors and pads. Maybe a combination of the two? Having to replace the piston dust boots every two events seems like a bit much.

This guy on the other board sacrificed his fog lights to run the brake cooling ducts. I might have to go that route.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever order a kit? Just curious what your experience has been if so. I went back to VIR the last week of August and they performed really well again.