Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood release cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hood release cable

I know there is a tsb for this, but I'm out of warranty. How do you get the hood open if the cable doesn't work? Is there a way to pop the grills out from the front? Based on all the trouble I have in the winter, I'm surprised there isn't more about this on the G8 sites. This is a component that shouldn't be allowed to fail in a vehicle's lifetime.
    2008 Liquid Red G8 GT - stock until it doesn't feel fast enough anymore

Post Thanks / Like

yes the front grills will pop out. It is not easy but if you can get your fingers in the honeycomb and pull
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

How good are my chances of not destroying them in the process?

Post Thanks / Like

I did not break anything when I did mine. not a bad idea to sit on your butt when you pull them out because you might end up on it anyways
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

It worked as you said. I was able to pop the shroud off the bottom of the release mechanism (which I believe to be responsible for the freeze issue), which allowed me to pop the hood. I must have broke the cable within a foot or so of the latch. Not sure whether I'm going attempt to replace that myself or not, but at least I have engine compartment access in the mean time. Thanks for the help Travis!

Post Thanks / Like

you are welcome

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same problem. TSB done under warranty ... problem lived on manytimes in this cold Canadian winter ...
    answer = sold car back to dealer.

Post Thanks / Like

I also had this problem last year and they replaced the entire mechanism under warranty. It acted up a bit at the beginning of this year so they ordered me another latch, cable, etc but I have not been in to have it installed as I didn't have a problem for the rest of the winter (it has been a mild one...).

I had to thaw out the latch with a hairdryer whenever I wanted to open the hood when it was acting up! I had toyed with the idea of installing a secondary cable that I could access from under the car that would release the hood but I never got around to it. Might be worth looking into...
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

...canadian winters...had this happen to me this morning...except in the opposite form.

-26*C, -39*Cwindchill factor.

Had engine block heater plugged in all night. Did not fully close hood, just safety latched it to avoid pinching extension cord. This morning, unplug block heater, shut hood and it wont latch closed. Tried wiggling the cable, and even using plyers...but it is stuck in the open position. Risked it and drove to work with the hood on safety latch, hoping it thaws out in the heated garage. If not heading to Sergeoners (dealer) and going to try to get them to replace it under warranty.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine snappled last week bought a new cable $50 and replaced it.