Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are bushings really the BIGGEST problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Hopefully Mike will check in.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry for the delay

I seem to be having challenges getting logged in. This is the second time I will be writing this post. The first time I hit submit, and it ejected. So hear we go again.

To start with your questions, the most important 1st step foe the G8 is struts and springs. The OEM units are seriously undersprung, and the struts are not even gas struts, therefore, will allow a very serious amount of body role and softness.

Now to start, let me tell you the pre and post tests I have done to define improvement. I have done this on 3 GTs: On a very safe road with no ongoing traffic, with divided white lines, drive as fast as you can by keeping the left front tire within the white lines, and making as fast as you can sharp 90 degree left then right (from center) turns. The pre test will get you to a 40-maybe 45mph with the oem suspension. the issue is that it gets extremely unstable due to you are turning faster than the body can role. The tires begin to squeel quiite badly and am starting to get to an unsafe driving. Now with a Pedders TrackII without bars, you can get to 60mph with no tire squeel, but at that speed, the tires start to loose traction, and traction control starts in the back.

Now the next issue on the list are the rear subframe or xmember bushes. Like the Chrysler LX /Mercedes E class rear suspension, these bushes allow a total disconnect of the rear suspension to the body. You can feel the movement. On the LX product, you literally can see the scuffing on the body and it moves over 15mm. We call this "step out" GM does this to meet legacy thoughts and engineering. By making bushings soft and gooey, the body is insolated form a lot of sins of the suspension, wheels, and tires. Now I can tell you there are quite a few GM engineers who own G8s that have bought our suspension. There are even a lot more that have driven Pete's G8 that has our XTREME coil overs, which are very performance oriented, and they cannot beleive how good things handle with a high level of comfort!.
    One of the gret things about the Pedders Xmember bushes is that they are pretty easy to install. You have to lower the rear cradle, and you will install poly inserts in the top and bottom of each bush, and fill in all the voids. This is about an hour's job. It makes a huge difference.

The next 2 bushes are important and fall after the xmember bushes. The rear diff bushes (3 of them) are very soft, and I think could contribute to wheel hop. The other is the front radius rod bushings. They are fluid filled just like the GTO. They allow a lot of movement. Our bushing is a VERY seriously stout bush, and also includes our caster shim pack to add approx 1 degree needed caster. These bushings, however, can take up to 10 tons to get pressed out and new ones back in.

Now lets not forget the Pedders multi adjustable sway bar kits. They will eliminate aprox 25% of the body role. Now Mike Haddad of Hadd MotorSports is destined to be the G8 KING of the west coast. I likes his set up at full strength in the front, and weakest setting in the back. But everyone has their own feel, and thus the reason for adjustabilitiy.

And there is no doubt, tires and tire size are a serious limitation of the G8. We need some BEEF! More on that later.

So did I answer your questions?

thanks
    mike
    dms

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dms View Post
    I seem to be having challenges getting logged in. This is the second time I will be writing this post. The first time I hit submit, and it ejected.
    VB times you out so my recommendation is if anyone is posting a novel they should type it in Word or even open outlook and type it like it's an email and then copy and paste it here. That way you no get timed out!

Thanks for the great info!

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great replies!

Most of my previous cars were something other than IRS/RWD, and were older models, so I'm not overly familiar with this new method of building.

I guess I understand that they'd do this for noise concerns. But, soft bushings in the control arms, isolators on the springs, and bushings on the shocks (though I've heard that even rod-ended shocks contribute no noise) should accomplish all the isolation one would need.

I wonder what would happen if you solidly mounted (welding, solid bushings, etc.) the rear subframe to the chassis?

Post Thanks / Like

In a recent (I think Road & Track) article, the new 09'Maxima posted a faster slalom and "G" time than the G8 GT. That car is both a front driver and has a CVT tranny. The G8 FE 2 suspension falls short when you really push it because it is a compromise. In the Caddy CTS, you can get the FE 3. but it rides considerably rougher. In fact, my daughter's 07' Honda Accord rides much firmer than my G8, even with my tires pumped up about 8 lbs. above stock. Guess that's why my wife likes the G8 so much...

Unfortunately no Pedders dealers anywhere near me in IA, and a long way away from Naples in FL.

RRM
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

The rear subframe bushings are not hard to do. A lift, transmission stand and airtools would be a piece of cake. Jack stands, hydrolic jack and breaker bar would get it done in a driveway. In both cases, 2 people would be a BIG help.

TVS1900
    RCR TB
    ZL1 Brakes
    Roto-Fab

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
    Thanks for the great replies!

Most of my previous cars were something other than IRS/RWD, and were older models, so I'm not overly familiar with this new method of building.

I guess I understand that they'd do this for noise concerns. But, soft bushings in the control arms, isolators on the springs, and bushings on the shocks (though I've heard that even rod-ended shocks contribute no noise) should accomplish all the isolation one would need.

I wonder what would happen if you solidly mounted (welding, solid bushings, etc.) the rear subframe to the chassis?
    New! Improved! Now Fully adjustable! No messy hydrolics to mess with! Quaranteed never to leak!

DuraJolt Shocks at an AC-Delco Dealer near you. Ask for them by name-DuraJolt!

TVS1900
    RCR TB
    ZL1 Brakes
    Roto-Fab

Post Thanks / Like

For us older geezers, this would be hard on our false teeth....

And... heaven forbid if the wife went braless....
    2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex - WORLD'S FIRST 12 SECOND FLEX 12.901@106.85 MPH TORRIE TUNED 3 - 12 sec. runs to date
    2009 Spt Red G8 GT - Headers, Cam, Wide-band,3000 stall, TORRIE @ Unleashed Tuning - TUNED 12.078 et @ 114.02mph
    2008 White G8 GT - Tune, Headers, CAI - 8.32ET 1/8 mi@85.66
    Confused, Dazed & Verklemp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8V8 View Post
    New! Improved! Now Fully adjustable! No messy hydrolics to mess with! Quaranteed never to leak!

DuraJolt Shocks at an AC-Delco Dealer near you. Ask for them by name-DuraJolt!

Damn that's funny!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Wish I could take credit for it.