Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailing Arms Installed - now Alignment OOW. Is that possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailing Arms Installed - now Alignment OOW. Is that possible?

No alignment issues prior to install.

Installed Spohn trailing arms on Sunday. Went for a ride to see if I still had wheel hop. Steering wheel still straight.

Desolate road (really), TC off, Sport, powerbrake to 1200 rpm's, let 'er rip, nice smokey and slightly sideways burnout and NO HOP. Great.

As as I was done, I noticed that my car was now out of alignment. Steering wheel now out of whack (OOW) and off center by 5-10 degrees.

Do I need an alignment after installing trailing arms? Could my 5 second burnout cause that?
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is possible that they would throw off the alignment since the bushings will have zero play.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the rear suspension apart 4-5 times and never had any alignment issues
    Retiring as the undefeated Cam only Record Holder 11.454@120

Come and get the title bitches it's up for grabs

Post Thanks / Like

Strange. Car still drives almost perfectly straight when I let go of the wheel but the wheel is cocked about 5-10 degrees to the left.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    It is possible that they would throw off the alignment since the bushings will have zero play.
    I believe that now. I plan on doing more suspension stuff because just the addition of the Spohn trailing arms and the rear of the car feels tighter and more solid. Love it.
    R.I.P. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a good idea to put the car on a drive on rack and loosen the TA bolts, bounce the car a dozen times and then TQ them. That way the bushing at the spindle is not in a bind. Once you change all the rotating bushings they will have ferrules and will rotate with out bind no matter what position they are torqued in.

Not uncommon for the right side TA bushing to be weak and when the arm is changed it changes the position of the tire (front to back). This would make the steering wheel crooked to compensate for the new angle of the rear suspension. An alignment will fix it.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a good idea to put the car on a drive on rack and loosen the TA bolts, bounce the car a dozen times and then TQ them. That way the bushing at the spindle is not in a bind. Once you change all the rotating bushings they will have ferrules and will rotate with out bind no matter what position they are torqued in.

Not uncommon for the right side TA bushing to be weak and when the arm is changed it changes the position of the tire (front to back). This would make the steering wheel crooked to compensate for the new angle of the rear suspension. An alignment will fix it.
    Considering one of the outer (lower) bolts went in with little issue and the other was a 2+ hour fight, requiring upward and forward force to get it to line up, this makes sense.
    Thx Charlie.
    R.I.P. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
    Considering one of the outer (lower) bolts went in with little issue and the other was a 2+ hour fight, requiring upward and forward force to get it to line up, this makes sense.
    Thx Charlie.
    What I want to know is did you come up with any new NC17 vocabulary while you were going through that 2 hour battle. lol

Post Thanks / Like

What I want to know is did you come up with any new NC17 vocabulary while you were going through that 2 hour battle. lol
    You have no idea. Cursed, bled, got dirty, kicked my dog (J/K), almost wept; plus you need to understand that my "driveway" where I do many of my mods is stones. So I have bruises on my shoulder blades, back, arms, etc from laying & kneeling on stones while doing most of this.

But I usually forget all about it once the next "mod" arrives. LOL. At the end of the day, I love this stuff.
    R.I.P. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacerX View Post
    Strange. Car still drives almost perfectly straight when I let go of the wheel but the wheel is cocked about 5-10 degrees to the left.
    Maybe you car doesn't make enough power and those trailing arms are taking over
    Retiring as the undefeated Cam only Record Holder 11.454@120

Come and get the title bitches it's up for grabs