Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: In doubt

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy In doubt

I have a 2009 g8gt. At 32000 miles the front ball joints had to be replaced and now at 34000 the water pump started leaking and was replaced under warrenty. I wonder what is next is anyone else having this problem and what should I expect next.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get this one new, or used? Sounds like a trade in from someone that was having troubles. Is the coolant green? Had that happen on a "customer's" car. They swapped coolant - not knowing any better - and it killed the pump.

Bottom line, you will have to deal with the challenges as they come. I'd say you are fortunate that you are still under warranty. Drive it like you stole it to work out the bugs.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Lower Control Arms are a known issue on this car that, sadly, will fail and will often fail repeatedly. The good news is that you can get replacement arms from Greg@WasSlow for $222. There are also aftermarket replacements from Pedders, and Spohn is supposed to release their arms some time this decade. We'll see, their schedule may slip into the next century.

The water pump goes randomly. It died in my car at 16,000 miles even though I was still running the original stock GM coolant. The dealer replaced it under warranty and it hasn't failed again since, and I've put 20,000 more miles on the car.

So this car does have a few nits that need picking. Keep an eye on those, though, and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 09-14-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

91,000 + miles on the Black Rat and purrs so nice. Like I say I am a test car for everyone so you will see these cars do very well.

Like Todd said Drive it like you Stole it and have fun.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

91,000 + miles on the Black Rat and purrs so nice. Like I say I am a test car for everyone so you will see these cars do very well.
    All I have had done to mine is the Lower and upper control arms and lots of love on the weekends.
    Like Todd said Drive it like you Stole it and have fun.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Lower Control Arms are a known issue on this car that, sadly, will fail and will often fail repeatedly. The good news is that you can get replacement arms from Greg@WasSlow for $222. There are also aftermarket replacements from Pedders, and Spohn is supposed to release their arms some time this decade. We'll see, their schedule may slip into the next century.

The water pump goes randomly. It died in my car at 16,000 miles even though I was still running the original stock GM cooland. The dealer replaced it under warranty and it hasn't failed again since, and I've put 20,000 more miles on the car.

So this car does have a few nits that need picking. Keep an eye on those, though, and you should be good to go.
    Water pump issues are rare, but as Eidolon stated; they do happen. The LCA issue is much more common, particularly for cars that see cold weather. Other common issues include (but not limited to):

Water leaks in the passenger side seem to happen with some regularity, as does crank pulley wobble. Driveshaft vibrations also cause many folks issues, and some of us are dealing with tranny issues (2-3 gear flare, wot 3-4 shift delays). There are also a number of us having oil leaks from the rear main. I think that is the short list of common issues.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Lower Control Arms are a known issue on this car that, sadly, will fail and will often fail repeatedly. The good news is that you can get replacement arms from Greg@WasSlow for $222.
    this is what i did. i also sent them to BMR and had them press in their bushings. i also replaced the strut bushings and bearings. much better it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the dealer replace my LCA's under warranty, they were nice enough to press in my new BMR Radius Rod bushings at no charge before installing the new updated arms.
    2009.5 G8 GXP SRM M6 (1 of 61), (1465 build of 1829 total GXP's)
    a.k.a. "Michele"
    GO: Kooks MID's Headers, RotoFab. Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, Texas Speed Stage 2 Cam. FAST 102
    RIDE: Pedders GSR's with the Lowering Spring, BMR Cradle and Radius Rod Bushings, Pedders Sways