Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Those with SS Front Calipers:

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Those with SS Front Calipers:

I noticed last night that sometimes, the round things on the top of the rotors (Sorry I'm clueless with this stuff) .. They look like weights, or something. They rub up against the inside of my wheel and it makes a loud grinding sound that sounds like my breaks arestuck. I notice they are scratching the inside of the wheel also. they are 19'' Forgestar, that forgestar/modbargains verified will clear the SS calipers. Anybody have this issue and is there a fix?
    Current - 08 C6 Vette, Tons of CF, TVS2300 + AHR + ID850 = 505WHP

Former - 09 G8 GT, LRM. Custom Flowmaster Exhaust, Roto-Fab carbon fiber everything, VMS Tune, Pacesetter Catless, Pedders Springs, MM CF Spoiler, Flip 2 tone tails/grilles, Evolution Auto Designs Bumper, HIDs, Forgestar F05 19'' Staggered on KDW2, SS Brembos, Demon8Designs gauge pod + 3 Aeroforce, 430WRHP/400TQ

Daily - 12 Hyundai Azera hopefully to be replaced by a Chevy SS!

Mostly lurk, find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jsquizz

Post Thanks / Like

cut the "roller skates" off of the brake pads or buy some aftermarket pads...the calipers fit with your wheels, but that particular set of OE pads does not...
    2009 G8 GT Panther Black ,Onyx/Red, Premium Package GXP Conversion..DONE
    JL 1000/1 connected to 2 JL 12W6V2's
    JL 300/4 Connected to Boston Acoustic SL60 Components
    JL CLEANSWEAP!! AWESOME !!
    20 " Staggered Polished Camaro Wheels, NITTO NT555 Extreme Tires
    Front Brembo Brakes
    KOOKS Mid 1/78 Headers w/High Flow Cats
    SLP PowerFlow Axle Back Exhaust w/Unique Tips
    RotoFab CAI, Custom tune by FROST
    Heater Hose Relocation, HSRK MOD, Intake Cover Removed
    GXP Struts Front/Rear
    BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars
    Crazy Paul's Integrated GPS Trim Package
    Replaced XM Box with a working SIRIUS BOX
    THE FIRST PONTIAC G8 IN THE COUNTRY WITH SIRIUS WORKING THROUGH THE FACTORY HEAD UNIT !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you take a picture of what you're talking about, even if it's with a cell phone?
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post #2 was right. Does anyone know if it is difficult to change these pads? from what I remember, you have to disassemble the caliper and all that. Anyone have feedback?
    Current - 08 C6 Vette, Tons of CF, TVS2300 + AHR + ID850 = 505WHP

Former - 09 G8 GT, LRM. Custom Flowmaster Exhaust, Roto-Fab carbon fiber everything, VMS Tune, Pacesetter Catless, Pedders Springs, MM CF Spoiler, Flip 2 tone tails/grilles, Evolution Auto Designs Bumper, HIDs, Forgestar F05 19'' Staggered on KDW2, SS Brembos, Demon8Designs gauge pod + 3 Aeroforce, 430WRHP/400TQ

Daily - 12 Hyundai Azera hopefully to be replaced by a Chevy SS!

Mostly lurk, find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jsquizz

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

no need to take them apart. simply take the wheel off and push the pins out. then just lift the pads out the top.
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
    no need to take them apart. simply take the wheel off and push the pins out. then just lift the pads out the top.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs42885 View Post
    Post #2 was right. Does anyone know if it is difficult to change these pads? from what I remember, you have to disassemble the caliper and all that. Anyone have feedback?
    Check this pic out. I took it from another member's post and marked it up.

The two red circles highlight the pins that bridge the caliper window, loop through rings on the pads, and hold a spring in place. The combination of rings and the spring keeps the pads in place.

Use a hole punch or long nail and, with a hammer, gently tap those pins out from the front. They'll come out through the back of the caliper and, in so doing, release the spring holding the pads in. At that point, you just pull the pads right out through the caliper window. No caliper disassembly is needed. It's actually easier than your standard sliding caliper.

To put it back together, just put the spring back in place and slide the pins back into place one at a time, tapping them into place from behind with your nail and hammer again (and you may not need the nail). It's impossible to go too far in, as the pins have a head on the back end that sits firmly into the caliper.

If this doesn't make any sense, let me know and I'll provide some better pics later tonight.

EDIT: By the way, if you could provide some pics of what you're talking about, it would be appreciated. I'm pondering 19" Forgestars and I'd like to make sure I won't suffer the same issue.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 07-25-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke