Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caster verses new LCA kit installed

Post Thanks / Like

Default caster verses new LCA kit installed

I am not super confident in my dealership but here is what they have done so far. The put the new lower control arm kit on and then went to a-line it and caster is out of spec and they asked me to leave the car overnight and will order a caster adjusting kit.

This brings me to my next question. As in another post about a DIY on strut bearings they posted a picture and mine are raised even higher off the body than the ones posted in the pictures posted in the other thread. I asked the tech and showed him how much they moved and he agreed they should be replaced.

Anyone else run into the issue of caster being out of spec after new parts installed?

The service writer commented to me about the car asking about how fast it might be and so forth as he said this was the only V8 one they have seen so far. They have worked on a couple V6 models. Not a volume dealer by any means and I feel as a former Master ASE tech I am kind of having to hold there hands to make sure they make the right choices on servicing the car but trying not to tick them off as nobody likes being told they are wrong
    Last edited by Struggle; 07-18-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Ouestion One: YES Question Two: Yes They seem to be working with you to get the problems resolved. Good Luck
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Picked the car up today and they did the upper strut bushings as well. Car drives better than it has in the last six months. No more knocking ether.

Told wife to leave it home tomorrow though as we are having 100 degree days and roads are heaving something terrible. She can abuse the Tahoe since it has the Z-71 package so no low profile wheels to worry about.
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on getting the strut bushings replaced under warranty! I had to do my GTO myself, as I could not get a dealer to replace them under warranty (and they were rubbing tires). It is good to hear of better service departments out there.
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my control arms, shocks (Koni inserts, which require cutting and reusing of the stock strut package), and strut mounts (Lovells poly) at the same time. I got an alignment the following weekend and they had no problems. It came out perfectly except for the fact that they could only get -1.4* of camber out of one of my rear wheels when I asked for -1.5* all around, which is not a big deal at all. Other than that, it came out literally perfectly.

I don't know how far off replacing the parts threw stuff out of alignment, but the paper is in my car. I can check if you want to know that.
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 07-21-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    I replaced my control arms, shocks (Koni inserts, which require cutting and reusing of the stock strut package), and strut mounts (Lovells poly) at the same time. I got an alignment the following weekend and they had no problems. It came out perfectly except for the fact that they could only get -1.4* of camber out of one of my rear wheels when I asked for -1.5* all around, which is not a big deal at all. Other than that, it came out literally perfectly.

I don't know how far off replacing the parts threw stuff out of alignment, but the paper is in my car. I can check if you want to know that.
    Howzit dandragonrage. How do you find the koni inserts? what springs you running. I'm trying to decide what to get. It will cost me the same for koni inserts with H&R springs as it will for bc coilovers.
    2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS - Silver. Roto-Fab CAI. Custom exhaust and Brospeed headers.
    Livernois Stage 2c cam with FAST 102 intake. Powerbond UDP.
    BMR Sub-Frame Connectors. Spohn LCA's. Pedders Supercar Coilovers.
    493 Hp
    12.9 (Road tires, unprepared track)

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the shocks a lot so far. I don't track/autocross it but I do some pretty aggressive driving on certain windy roads and the car stays planted quite well with them. I am using the stock springs. I kinda wish I'd dropped it just slightly but I don't feel that the stock springs are too soft or anything. The shock valving is FAR more important than the spring rate. And I don't think many companies can do a better job than Koni, especially... well, basically any other shock company that people buy from here. If Koni is not available, I look at Bilstein. If that's not available either, then I consider selling a car. (Dead serious there.)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the reply. I run koni's in my other car, and they are great. I agree with you, in terms of the actual shocks, koni is probably the best out there.
    I think the koni shock is better than the bc shock, must just decide if i want the adjustability of coilovers.
    I assume your koni's are adjustable.
    2008 Chevrolet Lumina SS - Silver. Roto-Fab CAI. Custom exhaust and Brospeed headers.
    493 Hp

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are. I run them 75% stiff (1.5 turns out of a possible 2).

Post Thanks / Like

are you running koni's in the rear as well. Are they also adjustable?
    493 Hp