Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedders Xa coil over shock leaking oil

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Pedders Xa coil over shock leaking oil

What a bummer, after a nice drive back from the thumb of Michigan, I notice the car started bobbing over road ondulation, and after pulling the car in the driveway to unload the baby gears, I notice this fresh 2 foot in diameter oil stain on the driveway just under the suspension (one of the oil stain picture was taken after I moved the car, but the oil leak is from the rear driver side)..... obviously that coil over must have been leaking for a good chunck of the drive since the side of the car and the rear is covered with oil stains, hopefully coil over oil is not corrosive like brake fluid....otherwise gone is the paint job.
    I left a message with Pedders USA, I hope these guys are going to acknowledge that 20,000 street miles on coil overs should not lead to this, I am praying that they will act as the real professional that they are and replace the defective part(s) and cover labor as well, I don't see how anyone could justify having the customer fork up the bill for labor or part on such an early failure. I have never read anywhere anyone with such Pedders coil over failure at 20,000 mile, heck even if the car had 100,000 I would expect these things to last with no leaks. BTW the Xa and bushing kit was installed by a Pedder's certified installer (Back Street boys).
    This is not good timing, I just started a new job, we just had our first baby girl and I need this car to be solid for a while. Now I need to figure out what Pedders is going to say, need to probably take a day off that I probably have not vested yet with the new company and something in the back of my mind is thinking, are the others on their way out too? Did I get a bad batch? Sorry for the rant......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by solty; 07-06-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    2009 G8 GT Silver Metalic with Premium Onyx/red - Sunroof - Sport package - Vararam intake - DOD delete - Livernois 2C cam - Kooks Mids 1 7/8" - Corsa cat back - Pedders Xas - triple Gauge - Blue tooth module - VIM

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with it... hopefully they go out of their way to support you.... let us know!!! peer pressure is a awesome thing...
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Pedders Has great customer service. I dealt with them for an issue that was not even under warranty and Pete went out of his way to make sure that I was 100% satisfied with the result. With that said, I don't know of any high performance manufacturer that covers labor in their warranty. Maybe they will but I'd think that would be something you'd work out with the installer. I know Pete has been busy dealing with the injury to his father (serious fall and was flown to hospital) and his recovery. Call Pedders and explain what happened and I'm sure they will not give up until your satisfied. Unfortunately even the best of parts sometimes fail. Did you check to verify nothing has punctured the shock? Good luck and keep us posted.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is a lot of oil! I really hope Pedders takes care of you on this. Keep us updated, and good luck!

-Todd...

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks I hope you get good news from them.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

When did you get your Xa's?
    If you don't hear from Pedders by tomorrow evening, let me know and i'll take things over.

Rich and Eric are great guys, i don't think anything they did on the installation has any bearing on the failure of a part. Have you called them about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Gr8lover, Tcorzett andTexn884 thanks for the words of support guys.
    2009 G8 GT Silver Metalic with Premium Onyx/red - Sunroof - Sport package - Vararam intake - DOD delete - Livernois 2C cam - Kooks Mids 1 7/8" - Corsa cat back - Pedders Xas - triple Gauge - Blue tooth module - VIM

Post Thanks / Like

Skinsfangreg, I hear the same thing that Pedders is really good to work with, and I would never think about having them cover for labor if it wasn't for the very very early failure of the coil over(s)!!!! This is really a fluke (I hope) and you can't expect customers to fork up instalation cost twice within 2 years when the product is clearly defective....
    I did not know about Pete's Father's injury and my best wishes of full recovery goes to his Father. Obviously Pete needs to focus on his Father and Family right now that is more important than anything else in this life...
    I really just called Pedders yesterday, and I did not raise the car to check for puncture, but man it is tight in there, the coil over is well protected by other components, I can't imagine any projectile would have a clear trajectory to puncture a coil over, I would think a projectile would impact other things and lose energy quickly before impacting the coil over...in my mind road debris impact should be part of the coil over validation, any good manufacturer would run some amout of debris/projectile validation, shocks, coil over, suspension components after all are suposed to be exposed to such environement...
    I am agreeing with you that this is most likelly a one in a million part that fell off the six sigma distribution, and I was the lucky winner :-( I just hope that this is not a batch issue (4 coil over being from the same bad batch.....)
    More to come, I need to give Pedders some time to respond. I really wanted to get a feel for whether or not this has happened to others.

Quote Originally Posted by skinsfangreg View Post
    Pedders Has great customer service. I dealt with them for an issue that was not even under warranty and Pete went out of his way to make sure that I was 100% satisfied with the result. With that said, I don't know of any high performance manufacturer that covers labor in their warranty. Maybe they will but I'd think that would be something you'd work out with the installer. I know Pete has been busy dealing with the injury to his father (serious fall and was flown to hospital) and his recovery. Call Pedders and explain what happened and I'm sure they will not give up until your satisfied. Unfortunately even the best of parts sometimes fail. Did you check to verify nothing has punctured the shock? Good luck and keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, the Back Street Boys are a great crew, and I'll bet money they had nothing to do with the early failure. These guys were so cautious and they took their time to do it right. I just mentioned their names to show that the install was done by pros.
    I bought and had the Pedders Xa's and bushings kit installed by Back street Performance on 4\21\09.
    I will let you know when I hear from Pedders.
    Thanks for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
    When did you get your Xa's?
    If you don't hear from Pedders by tomorrow evening, let me know and i'll take things over.

Rich and Eric are great guys, i don't think anything they did on the installation has any bearing on the failure of a part. Have you called them about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody mentioned whether or not shock oil is corossif on paint (Like DOT3 brake oil...)?