Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had my new CTS V and Camaro rotors slotted

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in California so havent dealt with snow but could see it causing a issue. Maybe just a drilled rotor would work better.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
    I know from my experience that slotted vs plain I noticed a big difference in braking.
    No, you don't, or it's not from the rotors.. They do not improve braking... at all. Not even a tiiiiiny little bit. 100% placebo.

And do NOT go for drilled. Slots do not help, but they don't really hurt. Drilled rotors can and will crack, and do nothing for you. They do not improve cooling or any of the other BS that some people may claim.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a road racer and by no means a expert. But if there were no positive to drilled and or slotted why are all the high end cars, the AMG mercedes, M BMW, Ferrari, Porsche etc all running them? I cant see them doing it only for looks.

Post Thanks / Like

The rotors I have are zinc coated so that will help prevent rust. Since I live in Texas I do not get to drive in much snow and crap and I I drive 99.9% highway and want brakes that will stop me better than stock and I feel this will be a big help and I will post once they are installed and after.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    No, you don't, or it's not from the rotors.. They do not improve braking... at all. Not even a tiiiiiny little bit. 100% placebo.

And do NOT go for drilled. Slots do not help, but they don't really hurt. Drilled rotors can and will crack, and do nothing for you. They do not improve cooling or any of the other BS that some people may claim.
    .....then what 'Do' they do???
    2009 Hot White G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium
    Show: Tint 25%-F 15%-R, Billet grill inserts, rockford fosgate audio, gxp diffuser, eibach pro springs,

Go: Kooks 1 7/8 LT w/catted x-pipe, SLP loudmouf Axle Backs, BMR subframe connectors, bmr tunnel trace, BMR trailing arms w/ bushings, BMR adjustable toe rods, BMR adjustable control arms, billet prototype catchcan, Yanks 3200 stall, L92 Stage 2 heads, thunderracing custom cam 223/235 .610/.620 on a 115 LSA, Kenne bell BAP, magnacharger TVS 2300 w/ rotofab cai, Tuned by 21st Centurty Muscle Cars

Murk...or be Murked! Protect Your Chest!

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you race, auto cross and push your braking to 100% a lot of the time. Slots, drilling and dimples are just for show on street cars. Slots shorten the life of the brake pads. The constant scraping of the pad surface cleans the worn pad debris from the pads. Removing pad glaze with some of the pad too. Yes you keep fresh pads on the rotors, and on a race car who cares. You will likely put fresh pads on forthe next race. Unless you have problems with pads glazing and brake fade, you will stop faster with blank rotors.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on blanks, all the people I know who track use blanks and have no issues. The slotted guys are more the street guys with all seasons and never push the cars, even on auto-x I dont think slotted would help...speeds are just too slow usually imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
    I am not a road racer and by no means a expert. But if there were no positive to drilled and or slotted why are all the high end cars, the AMG mercedes, M BMW, Ferrari, Porsche etc all running them? I cant see them doing it only for looks.
    Yep that is exactly why they do it. Tools that go in and buy Porsche AMG etc know shit about cars. The reason they do it is purely marketing. But they aren't drilled they are cast that way so they are better than your typical drilled/slotted but not better than blanks. All for show

Post Thanks / Like

yea the rotors for porches and other high end cars have the holes casted in to the rotors.

all the track cars i have seen all use blanks.
    my old track car also ran blanks.

reason cross drilled is bad is they tend to crack i seen about 5 of so cars with cracks on the rotors from them.
    used rotors from a brake set up for my old car.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/signaturepics/sigpic600_1.gif