Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Rebuild or Replace?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rebuild or Replace?

Question guys, I'm having the car shipped back to Livernois Motorsports for more work. I've been talking with them on upgrading the suspension while there also. My question is, would it be better to order the second generation front control arm kit or keep the origional arms and have them change out all of the bushings?

I'm planning to lower the car also and I'd like to have Livernois hit all the weak/wear areas and not have to worry about anything suspension wise for a while. Any insights from you all would be great.
    2008 Black G8 GT - Kooks - Corsa - Roto-Fab - Powerbond - BMR - Livernois - Petrol - Nitto - Visual Garage - Llumar - Pace Performance - Royal Purple - GRRRR8 - Lloyds - Covercraft

Post Thanks / Like

Pedders control arm bushings! I would also go with a set of Pedders xtreme Xa coilovers and sway bars. Worth the money.
    I would also recomend diff. bushings and rear sub-frame bushings.
    Pedders R&D Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how long they will have the car, and if Spohn releases their control arms, I would try for the Spohn LCAs. Second choice, would be the second generation OEM LCAs. I also agree with changing out the bushings and the sway bars, and add the BMR chassis pieces. The springs/struts/shocks are dependent on what you are looking for in the ride. Might want to change out the sway bar end links and add the rear adjustable toe links, rear lower control arms, and trailing arms. BTW, Spohn was suppose to release new rear upper control arms.
    Last edited by Panzer Leader; 06-27-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on how much wear is on your current arms. If they are making any noise, I would suggest having your local dealer replace them. Then just have new bushings pressed into them. It might be a waste putting bushings into old arms.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing bushings doesn't replace ball joints. What shocks/springs will you be going with? I'm really happy with my Koni inserts. I didn't lower it but I kind of wish I had gotten the Pedders springs that drop it just a bit, like an inch or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time, so I don't mind spending a few dollars now for quality parts. That being said, I'd rather not swing a complete suspension replacement. The car exibits some of the problems (poping noise, steering wheel shake) that makes me want to replace what I've got. It's looking like from what you guys are saying I should budget for the new style control arms or wait for spohn to release theirs (if ever). I haven't decided on springs (H&R, Pedders, Eibach, King) but I'd like to hear about shocks. Oh, and I've looked at coilovers, but to be honest it's a big pill to swallow for a guy that mostly drives the car 95% on the street. I'm not looking for a corner carver, just something that lowers on the car my 20's and is reliable in the long term.
    2008 Black G8 GT - Kooks - Corsa - Roto-Fab - Powerbond - BMR - Livernois - Petrol - Nitto - Visual Garage - Llumar - Pace Performance - Royal Purple - GRRRR8 - Lloyds - Covercraft

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you Fetke556. At almost 85,000 miles on the Black Rat I will keep this car a long time and the front bushings under the hood are raised a lot and I know I need to replace those but I would like to lower her some but I am not running the Indy 500 any time soon so do I go with the stock replacement shocks and do some lowering springs. All my miles are running about 73-74 mph and a few runs up to 120-150 mph but I am into power with high gas mileage.

Patrick G says stay with the stock set up and he liked his stock suspension because the issues with the other replacement parts.

So am am in the same boat you are. Confused.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here