Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I NEED to do and what SHOULD I do...

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do I NEED to do and what SHOULD I do...

Looking for some advice here...

My pads are close to done (25000 miles) so I have been looking at the HPS pads. I do a quick rim clean on the car almost daily so I'm not worried about dust and have heard that these grab better than the ceramics. My last run at the strip (a nice place in Mexico ) had me a little worried as I found I was running out of strip much faster than I'd like and the brake fade was horrible.

Here's my problem...I have new OEM front rotors that were replaced under warranty around 3000 miles ago and have been told that the rears are still more than fine. Am I going to notice a marked difference in brake fade with just the pads? If I'm going to have to replace the pads again when I change the rotors (whenever they come due) are there cheaper pad options that will be a big improvement over the stock pads? Even though money is a concern, does it just make more sense to replace everything at once?

I'm also wondering about the stainless steel lines - I have been 'sold' on these for a while but if I do the occassional drag strip and head out for a track day once or twice a year will they be worth it? I won't be installing them myself; I will be paying for the bleed AND the install (I don't have a bleeder).

Edit: As the wife agrees that brake work is necessary but disagrees that my headers and exhaust are also necessary - getting rotors now will kybosh my exhaust for this year. Getting the exhaust now will mean that when the brake rotors are due they will HAVE to be purchased and I get the best of both worlds. That being said, I am 'scared; to add more power without being able to reign it in.
    Last edited by I12XLR8; 06-24-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: exhuast vs. brakes
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine with replacing just pads. Just make sure to bed them in slowly as your rotors won't be perfectly flat, and you want the pads to wear to the rotors gently.

I don't recommend the SS lines, personally. They only stiffen the pedal feel a little bit. They do not (and CAN not) increase braking force. I do not think our pedals need to be stiffened. I do not understand why people LIKE having their brakes apply with full force with 1mm of movement in the pedal. It's like people want their brakes to be binary - either off or on, and nothing in between. Also, they still need to be replaced from time to time just like rubber lines. (They have rubber inside still.)
    Last edited by dandragonrage; 06-24-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Why do I always type the opposite of what I want to?

Post Thanks / Like

Id much rather have headers than rotors
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Your brakes and safety are more important than exhaust mods. Have the rotors machined. It is foolish to put new pads on old rotors. Yes the pads will eventually bed in but the braking will NEVER be as good. Machining the rotors restores the surface so they are like new. You wouldn't put a new clutch disc on an old flywheel and pressure plate, would you? Guaranteed there are some grooves in the rotors no matter how few miles there are. A cut of .003 or .005 is all that is usually needed to true up the rotor. It won't reduce the mass much.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

Post Thanks / Like

GT Drew - good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

The HPS pads are AMAZING! I love them!! Dust isn't even an issue with mine. I put the DBA stock size slotted rotors on at the same time. Couldn't be happier.

Chris

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

If your brakes are bad definitely get them fixed before headers. Im just saying i'd rather have headers over fancy new after market rotors. The stock brakes work fine for me.
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about the brake situation is it can be done piece meal. 3000 miles should not have glazed the rotors that much. Depending on how you drive of course. Get the pads first. See how it feels. If you like it, then you're done. Add the brake lines later if you want. The price isn't that much to replace the brake lines.
    If you wipe the wheels down every day you'll be fine. These pads do dust up quite a bit in my opinion.
    If you are racing or going to the drag strip, the stock rotor's may wear more than normal. Again, this is my opinion.

BTW, I don't have binary brakes. I did DBA, Hawk and Russel SS lines.
    When I had to stop from 130, it was quick and safe.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You absolutely do not need to touch the rotors. Rotors are never going to be perfect, but there IS a threshold of good enough. You do NOT need to machine/replace them every time you do pads, let alone at 3000 miles.

I just replaced my front brake pads at 29k and I used the stock rotors (which I may replace, but regardless, I can't afford to right now) and guess what? They EASILY stop enough that I can make ABS kick in if I want to. There is no safety issue... at ALL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandragonrage View Post
    You absolutely do not need to touch the rotors. Rotors are never going to be perfect, but there IS a threshold of good enough. You do NOT need to machine/replace them every time you do pads, let alone at 3000 miles.

I just replaced my front brake pads at 29k and I used the stock rotors (which I may replace, but regardless, I can't afford to right now) and guess what? They EASILY stop enough that I can make ABS kick in if I want to. There is no safety issue... at ALL.
    How can you say that without seeing his rotors?
    At 36k miles I replaced pads and rotors. Pads were all equally worn, with about half the pad left. The rotor's were glazed so bad that the car would not brake at speeds over 100. His pads are close to done at 25k miles. As you can see, not every thing is equal.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.