Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I NEED to do and what SHOULD I do...

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

His rotors have 3k on them. They are not going to be messed up in 3k miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Guys! I think that I'll just try the pads for now and have the dealer give me their opinion on the rotors. I had major glazing issues before they went ahead and replaced the rotors so the front rotors are fairly new (as mentioned) and the rear have been turned in the last 3-4000miles. If there's still room on them I'll have them turned again just to be safe. If not, I'll scrub them down as suggested by my local Hawk retailer as I have no lip whatsoever on any rotor.

I would rather have performance than looks so if I can get the pads bedded well and feel a difference in the braking I'll focus my attention on the exhaust (which will be my next thread, I'm sure!) It great to have you guys ready to answer my questions...don't know what I'd do on my own!
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

The pads are in! I'll be picking them up tonight but likely not installing them until the weekend...as promised the exhaust post is going up now ;-)

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Senior Member grandprixrollsout's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you are trying to save cash. However by placing them on worn rotors will most likely decrease your pad life. I would have ordered new rotors (tire rack has a good range). Worst case get them machined but you will have better ware. Doing it right will save you down the road (from pad life to best performance)

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixrollsout View Post
    I know you are trying to save cash. However by placing them on worn rotors will most likely decrease your pad life. I would have ordered new rotors (tire rack has a good range). Worst case get them machined but you will have better ware. Doing it right will save you down the road (from pad life to best performance)
    I did do it "right." I just didn't do the BEST job. I "only" did a "good" job. My stock pads still actually had a fair amount left, more than I thought I had remembered from when I did my shocks/control arms.

90% of people do not replace their rotors when they replace their brake pads, and very few of them have issues as a result. Just because you do them does not make your way the right way and everything else the wrong way. I usually replace rotors every other pad change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixrollsout View Post
    I know that you are right about the rotors but I'm not worried about the couple of thousand kilometers I might lose off the pads by keeping the existing rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I'll be waiting to do the pads - I have no plans to race the car any time this season and the OEM pads still have LOTS of life left in them. I assumed that with 25000miles they would be cooked (they were squeeling as well) but a quick rotors and pad scrub down by the dealer fixed that all right up. I still have the Hawk pads but just can't bring myself to throw out good pads.

I'll change them right before I think I'll need the extra braking power and will reread this thread for all the great advice that was given. Thanks, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GT Drew View Post
    Your brakes and safety are more important than exhaust mods. Have the rotors machined. It is foolish to put new pads on old rotors. Yes the pads will eventually bed in but the braking will NEVER be as good. Machining the rotors restores the surface so they are like new. You wouldn't put a new clutch disc on an old flywheel and pressure plate, would you? Guaranteed there are some grooves in the rotors no matter how few miles there are. A cut of .003 or .005 is all that is usually needed to true up the rotor. It won't reduce the mass much.
    Hey i saw this thread and as having kinda of the same issues. i have about 41K on my g8 and was planning on getting new rotors and pads due to the performance work im doing. Well...getting married sooo....there goes like 15K lol. Do you think that by getting them machined with work well with that much milage? Also...the guys thats watching my vehicle said i might have a warped front rotor.. :/ so will getting it machined work the same way with that problem?...or do i need to go ahead and get the front set of rotors?
    2009 Hot White G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium
    Show: Tint 25%-F 15%-R, Billet grill inserts, rockford fosgate audio, gxp diffuser, eibach pro springs,

Go: Kooks 1 7/8 LT w/catted x-pipe, SLP loudmouf Axle Backs, BMR subframe connectors, bmr tunnel trace, BMR trailing arms w/ bushings, BMR adjustable toe rods, BMR adjustable control arms, billet prototype catchcan, Yanks 3200 stall, L92 Stage 2 heads, thunderracing custom cam 223/235 .610/.620 on a 115 LSA, Kenne bell BAP, magnacharger TVS 2300 w/ rotofab cai, Tuned by 21st Centurty Muscle Cars

Murk...or be Murked! Protect Your Chest!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to the party, but here's what I did. My braking is smooth as butter.
    http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...ghlight=brakes
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kendall.alston View Post
    Hey i saw this thread and as having kinda of the same issues. i have about 41K on my g8 and was planning on getting new rotors and pads due to the performance work im doing. Well...getting married sooo....there goes like 15K lol. Do you think that by getting them machined with work well with that much milage? Also...the guys thats watching my vehicle said i might have a warped front rotor.. :/ so will getting it machined work the same way with that problem?...or do i need to go ahead and get the front set of rotors?
    I can only imagine that at 41K your rotors don't owe you anything and you should just replace them. You might not HAVE to but I think they've lived their expected life span...especially if you already have pulsing. I don't know that they'd be able to be turned. (?)