Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a rhythmic thumping noise from rear of car!

Post Thanks / Like

WTF are they replacing now? hub or knuckle? are they maybe replacing the rear

What happened to require the replacement of the studs? Did they smurf up the parking brake?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Well look at it this way. At least they acknowledged the problem. Hope you are back on the road soon.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

only nut back there is the axle nut that I can think of...most parts for this car seem to come out of Rancho Cucamonga, Califonia for some reason and take some time to get. When I got in my little fender bender I didn't have my car for 2 months and most of that time was waiting for little odds and ends special order parts from across the country/world haha. Try to be patient and hopefully they will fix it correctly this time!
    2008 G8 GT IOM

Livernois Stage 1 cam, Livernois ported heads with CNC valve job, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Magnaflow axle backs, Fast LSXR, Roto-fab CAI, 160 thermostat, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR rear diff. bushings and H&R springs. Tuned by RPM 428.34 hp and 406.44tq. Best time of 12.36@114.9 on Street tires.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And the saga continues! They got the axle nut yesterday. I get an e mail today. The new hub they installed is dropping wheel speed causing the abs light to stay on. So now they have to order again a new hub. It will be nine or ten days before I get her out of the shop because of a bearing that they probably installed incorrectly the first time a few months ago.
    2009 g8gt - rotofab cai, ported throttle body & FAST intake, 1 7/8s kooks shorties with 3 inch exhaust. 3600 circle D triple disc stall and tranni cooler, udp, hoosier 17 inch drag radials. 223/235 cam/gmpp Heads. HP Tuners. 416 with 11.3 to 1 compression.

best time: 11.47 @ 118.7 3000 feet da
    best top end 119.4 4000 feet da

Post Thanks / Like

Man is just hilarious, i was taking to a friend of mine that's a tech at Mazda dealer in town and he told me that most of the techs they fired because of lack of performance/productivity at work end up working at our dealer!!!

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i did a google and in 99.9 percent of the cases it is the abs sensor. and when i asked the dealer they concurred with me. but the sensor is actually inside the hub of our vehicles. so that is why they have to order a new hub. next week should be fun though. my hp tuner kit should be here. i will bring pencil, notebook, the tuner, and pay attention to what you can teach me on the basics.
    2009 g8gt - rotofab cai, ported throttle body & FAST intake, 1 7/8s kooks shorties with 3 inch exhaust. 3600 circle D triple disc stall and tranni cooler, udp, hoosier 17 inch drag radials. 223/235 cam/gmpp Heads. HP Tuners. 416 with 11.3 to 1 compression.

Post Thanks / Like

on the rear the speed sensor, it is actually external and bolts to the knuckle, they may have damaged on removal...the hub contains the tooth reluctor wheel that gives the sensor something to read....the only way a brand hub would malfunction is if one of the teeth got chipped on install or they installed it backwords(most likely what happened). Jeezzz, don't know about this shop....
    2008 G8 GT IOM

Livernois Stage 1 cam, Livernois ported heads with CNC valve job, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, Magnaflow axle backs, Fast LSXR, Roto-fab CAI, 160 thermostat, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR rear cradle bushings, BMR rear diff. bushings and H&R springs. Tuned by RPM 428.34 hp and 406.44tq. Best time of 12.36@114.9 on Street tires.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And the saga continues. Now I am getting a shaking/vibrating from the entire rear end when I accelerate half to three quarter throttle. I drove it to the dealer this morning and 90 percent of these symptoms mysteriously disappeared. The service advisor just told me it was abs doing it's job. Now tonight it came back violently. As long as I am coasting and not going on it or accelerating moderately you can hardly notice it. I jacked up the rear right and now the tire will rotate some forward and backwards. Before it would not rotate at all. It is not shaking as though it is loose. I did it with the rear driver's side one and I can rotate it front and back. No looseness on the tire. I noticed at the track a few weeks ago I was getting what I thought was a miss from the engine or something. I have a feeling it was rear tire giving me that sensation at higher speeds. What is going on?

Post Thanks / Like

Ask them how they installed the hub. Did they disconnect any ot the control arms from the knuckle. Are there hub rings on your rims? Bet they lost one when they put the new hub on.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it was real bad this morning. like going flipping through a deck of cards at high speed or putting one in your rear bicycle rim when you were a kid. this time he heard it. at dealer now. i think it is something external that they did not tighten up or maybe as you said. i will let you know. my goodness!