Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a rhythmic thumping noise from rear of car!

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by desertg8 View Post
    Obviously there was some friction going on in the right rear. Lucky the darn thing did not fall off.
    Just FYI... if the bearing completely fails, it will freeze up, locking the wheel up. Apply gas and something is either going to break HARD or your diff will simply burn out the clutch for that wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Hub bearings
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Sounds like Hub bearings
    He already got that figured out - I just added my last post to make him/people aware of what would probably happen if it failed completely.

Post Thanks / Like

Opps.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as the tranny is replaced I will ask them to check both the calipher and hub bearings.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

OP: So you say you had one hub replaced already and the shop/mechanic didnt' at least recommend replacing the other.

I know it sounds over kil, but I always do them in axle sets. IE LH and RH at the same time. UNLESS, I replace one and its already bad (never happened to date though).

Just making sure I read your first post right.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will back up a bit. I stripped a stud a few months ago. When they pulled the hub off to replace the stud the mechanic told me it was stuck to another part. Therefore at that time they replaced the bearing. Obviously they did not replace it correctly or the replacement part was bad. So it is the same bearing on the same wheel within a few months.
    2009 g8gt - rotofab cai, ported throttle body & FAST intake, 1 7/8s kooks shorties with 3 inch exhaust. 3600 circle D triple disc stall and tranni cooler, udp, hoosier 17 inch drag radials. 223/235 cam/gmpp Heads. HP Tuners. 416 with 11.3 to 1 compression.

best time: 11.47 @ 118.7 3000 feet da
    best top end 119.4 4000 feet da

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by desertg8 View Post
    I will back up a bit. I stripped a stud a few months ago. When they pulled the hub off to replace the stud the mechanic told me it was stuck to another part. Therefore at that time they replaced the bearing. Obviously they did not replace it correctly or the replacement part was bad. So it is the same bearing on the same wheel within a few months.
    Thanks. I was cornfused. (yes i speeled it wrong on purpose)

So is all well now.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Might be the setting on the sub woofer. LOL
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

10. Likes slayermanny liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, all is not well. It has been in their shop since Saturday. They said they ordered three parts. But only two came in. I said what are we waiting for? They said a nut! It is on back order. I just hope it is not coming from your country. Odd, that they would have to replace a nut.
    2009 g8gt - rotofab cai, ported throttle body & FAST intake, 1 7/8s kooks shorties with 3 inch exhaust. 3600 circle D triple disc stall and tranni cooler, udp, hoosier 17 inch drag radials. 223/235 cam/gmpp Heads. HP Tuners. 416 with 11.3 to 1 compression.

best time: 11.47 @ 118.7 3000 feet da
    best top end 119.4 4000 feet da