Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Pads

pissing'n wind = wet face stryker g8gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am running centric hubs on the front, they still warpped slightly after 25k but not like OEMs.

V8 Muscle

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stryker g8gt View Post
    I am running centric hubs on the front, they still warpped slightly after 25k but not like OEMs.
    Here's what they have to say about "warped" rotors: The “Warped” Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
    VE Commodore Sedan SS V-Series Special Edition, Left Hand Drive, PBM, Hacked Atari Gauges
    Power: 2014 Chevy Performance LS3 Crate Motor; Patrick G Tune, VCM Intake, Vector HSRK; Solo High Flow Cats, Solo Mid-Pipes
    Appearance: Vortekz Generators; RedlineGoods Shifter Boot; Holden Badges; GXP Diffuser; Stub antenna
    Handling: BMR Sub Frame Bushings, CTS-V Wheels, 255/40 & 285/35 Bridgestone S-04 Tires, GXP Rear Stabilizer Bar
    Brakes Centric Premium Rotors, ACDelco Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    ss lines help with pedal feel and modulation. imagine the rubber hoses expanding every time you pump the pedal after they have been on the car a while.

You will notice a firmer pedal feel, once you get used to it, you can't go back.

On fluid, what I do so take with a grain of salt: I used to DD my GTO and track my GTO. So I would put standard Valvoline Synethetic brake fluid (its like $7 per 1 quart, 1 litre) bottle at your autozone or orieliys. This is clear when it goes in, and you flush the entire system of the car (more on that later you don't need a Tech 2 to do it). When I would track the car, I would flush again with ATE super blue fluid (jegs, summit etc and other carry it) its more like 21+ per 1 litre bottle. it is blue going in, you knew you were good when the fluid was clean and blue.

track the car, come home, flush again with basic Valvoline. repeat as often as possible per track day. For a daily driven car, expensive brake fluids aren't worth the money.

Also for me Tracking the car meant road course or AutoX course. not Drag races.
    And I flush my brake system every year or 2 years depending on use. Just to keep the abs unit clean and happy. I call it cheap insurance.
    why would you flush to switch at all? ATE blue still has a high wet boiling point. plenty of people use the stuff on DD's, I've got some on order right now actually. infact, I run the
    valvoline stuff right now and I know it's wet boiling point is lower than the blue. unless you cant pass inspection, is there some other reason?
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    11 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

pissing'n wind = wet face stryker g8gt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hulkss View Post
    Here's what they have to say about "warped" rotors: The “Warped” Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
    interesting reading, including this section...........

MYTH # 6 - The brake fluid reservoir should be topped up during routine service.
    In most modern passenger cars, the brake fluid reservoir is designed with a specific volume and is equipped with an internal float. The volume corresponds to the amount of fluid that will be displaced when the pads have worn to the point of replacement plus a generous reserve. When the replacement point is reached, the descending float completes an electrical circuit and a light appears on the dash warning the driver that the pads should be replaced. If the brake fluid is topped up the first warning of warn out pads will be the screech of steel backing plate against iron disc. This will be both annoying and expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pha|anx View Post
    Would LOVE to hear about your experience. My rotors are fucked and this is pretty much the only option I'm seriously considering right now. I'm looking at the drilled and slotted regular rotors and the HP ceramic pads.

Do stainless lines really make a big difference? How about fluid options?

Sent from Hell via my Galaxy S Captivate
    So - bedded in my pads on C Street in Auburn, it is a perfect place for pad bed in. A rarely traveled road on the weekends with a very long straight where you can go 60 to 5 / 60 to 5 about 6 times for a good bed in procedure. It went perfect, got the smell on the fifth hard brake, started going away on the 7th, gone on the 8th.

We drove to Portland and back over the weekend, including taking 47/202 to Astoria and then 101/12/8 back to Olympia. Observations:

1) Pedal feel is so much better with the stainless steel brake lines. I will never, ever, go back to factory synthetic lines again. What a difference, love it

2) I can't make rave reviews like stops on dime, etc. etc. - party of this too is following proper break in procedures. Stopping power is linear and smooth, I would say the biggest difference is unlike the stock brakes that grab better and better as the car slows down - the feel is more linear with even action as you apply more pressure.

Overall very happy - the DBA rotors construction is clearly much better than stock when examining them. If you drive aggressively, Auto-X or DPE it is a worthy investment. Also if you plan to do lapping or advanced track work remember, there really aren't any racing tires made past 18" - big brakes are awesome, but can cause serious spacing issues for your rims.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

MYTH # 6 - The brake fluid reservoir should be topped up during routine service.
    In most modern passenger cars, the brake fluid reservoir is designed with a specific volume and is equipped with an internal float. The volume corresponds to the amount of fluid that will be displaced when the pads have worn to the point of replacement plus a generous reserve. When the replacement point is reached, the descending float completes an electrical circuit and a light appears on the dash warning the driver that the pads should be replaced. If the brake fluid is topped up the first warning of warn out pads will be the screech of steel backing plate against iron disc. This will be both annoying and expensive.
    If pads only lasted 30K miles and 2 years, I wouldn't have any argument. However, since most modern pad material lasts way beyond that, and Dot3/4 should be serviced every 2 years, it really does not make sense to allow the fluid to remain stagnant until the pads ran out. Otherwise the OEM Fluid would probally be in most G8's for the forseable future the way my OE pads are wearing, and my fluid was already turning milky/brown with a mushy pedal after just 25K and 2 years.

Additionally, pads as long as I remeber have an additional noise feature when the material reaches 20% or so.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-16-2011 at 02:22 AM.
    11 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep....D3EA brake components are tested to meet certain standards for performance. Good choice.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wreckwriter View Post
    That's funny, mine dust like crazy.
    I should add that 90% of my driving is highway which helps. I'm still amazed. The dusting compared to my stockers under the same conditions is pretty similar. The HPS's being more dust, but not much more.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    why would you flush to switch at all? ATE blue still has a high wet boiling point. plenty of people use the stuff on DD's, I've got some on order right now actually. infact, I run the
    valvoline stuff right now and I know it's wet boiling point is lower than the blue. unless you cant pass inspection, is there some other reason?
    flush as opposed to replace. I suppose I should say replace, and with replacement I do flush away some. I have yet to do this on the G8. The GTO really needed a fluid flush the day it was purchased. I bought my 8 used and I am doing this next week.

Some race tracks for events ask to see your brake fluid condition, since I don't bring any with me I like to have new fluid in there. habit more that anything. honestly I considered running blue all the time. but for DD use, its not necessary and to get the race fluid out it was nice to have the color change. without using ATE 200 (or whatever it is that is orange)

Once again Stoptech/Centric (odd how they are the same company right with castings from China) have some of the info correct. Yes modern cars (going back to the 90's) have had low fluid indication to go off right before you hit the wear marker on the factory pads. this is true, and yes most drivers don't care about fluid condition or volume or ? so from a MX perspective, if the lines don't ever leak, this is a good indicator for pad replacement.

but its rarely ever accurate, temperature changes will cause that slight line between warning chime and silence such that the owner will take the car in, and the shop will say "you could use new pads in about a year, but BTW your fluid was on the low side . . . " and it gets topped offanyway.

Oddly these same people that have brake myths will tell you to replace your rotors anyway. as they should never be reused let alone ever turned. Marketing hype being what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    If pads only lasted 30K miles and 2 years, I wouldn't have any argument. However, since most modern pad material lasts way beyond that, and Dot3/4 should be serviced every 2 years, it really does not make sense to allow the fluid to remain stagnant until the pads ran out. Otherwise the OEM Fluid would probally be in most G8's for the forseable future the way my OE pads are wearing, and my fluid was already turning milky/brown with a mushy pedal after just 25K and 2 years.

Additionally, pads as long as I remeber have an additional noise feature when the material reaches 20% or so.
    Most people on this site seem to think critically enough to notice the slight flaws in the propagana. I love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by MIEngineer View Post
    Yep....D3EA brake components are tested to meet certain standards for performance. Good choice.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

sooo are any of yall getting rid of your rotors....kinda warped one of my front rotors. need a new pair before i get back stateside