Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: NEW Improved Holden A/C Belt Throwing Fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Did this yesterday on my GXP w/ 2300 Maggie. While it was not an issue initially w/ the stock bracket, it started throwing belts every time I would get on the throttle. No issues since. A word on install, I purchased the ratcheting wrenches after reading some other install stories but only ended up using it on one bolt. While I heard the top two 15mm were the biggest bitch, for me it was the one recessed bolt behind the A/C compressor. The whole process was about 4 hours for me solo including a couple breaks in there to rest my hands/arms. Over an hour was spent on that one bolt between in/out I would say. Not sure what I may have missed in easier routes, but I could not wiggle that A/C any further out of the way and barely got my 3/8 drive socket in there. Also, I did not need to remove the plastic shroud in the front of the vehicle as some indicated.

This was done with a couple ramps and a steeply inclined driveway (would have used jack otherwise) and some wrenches and sockets. No hoist or anything else involved. This was probably the most complex thing I've done personally, and had only done brakes, plugs, oil etc before hand. I say that just to help others who may be considering doing this themselves decide/ gauge time and effort vs. having it done at a shop. For all the wiggling I DID do on the A/C compressor, it did require quite a bit of persuasion to re-mount the A/C bracket. I significantly dislodged it and/or bent something that required bending back I would guess.

Thanks again, Paul!
    Last edited by PuckMercury; 09-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    2009 G8 GXP PBM/Onyx A6 Roof

Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger - Pedders Street II Kit + Front/Rear eXtreme Sway Bars - American Racing LT Headers & HF Cats - Better than Ray's - Roto-Fab CAI - MagnaFlow AxleBack exhaust - Mike Norris Tune - 542RWHP / 527ft-lbs

2. Likes G8V8, Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad that you was able to get it done. The A/C bolts are fun. Glad to see that you are still alive stranger
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

4. Likes PuckMercury liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alive and well, but out in Portland, OR these days sadly. I'll be back, but it'll be several years. Wish I could help you and Ray get his machine back in order!

For me, the A/C bolts were the easy part, it was the bolts on the bracket itself that posed the biggest pain. To any on the fence about doing this, go for it - you'll be fine. If you have enough aptitude to wonder if you can do it then you can absolutely do it in this case.
    2009 G8 GXP PBM/Onyx A6 Roof

Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger - Pedders Street II Kit + Front/Rear eXtreme Sway Bars - American Racing LT Headers & HF Cats - Better than Ray's - Roto-Fab CAI - MagnaFlow AxleBack exhaust - Mike Norris Tune - 542RWHP / 527ft-lbs

Post Thanks / Like

Portland wow that is a long way.
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem with the belt, but my tensioner is making noise. Should I go ahead and buy this or just the tensioner since I have had no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ATTAHO View Post
    I have never had a problem with the belt, but my tensioner is making noise. Should I go ahead and buy this or just the tensioner since I have had no issues.
    If you're close to stock HP levels and or don't have an issue then yes, just replace the tensioner pulley. The problem exists more when you create a fast revving engine.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Just chucked my second belt since the cam swap and putting Rick's catalog into the car. Sending $210 for a kit w the stock-balancer's belt in a sec here.
    2008 PBM GT: Many good parts bolted to a freshly-exploded engine.

RIP Charlie. Lay tracks in Heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey i'm new to this forum.
    Brought my car may 2014, currently has 94k
    I've been having a few problems with my car after I had my harmonic balancer changed.
    1st problems belts sounded wobbly kind of my a squeaking sound dealer just sprayed on lube. Problem came back quickly after I've just been respraying lube.

New Problems
    Error code P0171 + P0174
    I've already read that this code means i'm running lean in banks 1 + 2. I Will test swapping O2 sensors with the rears next weekend.
    Alternator light randomly comes on and car goes into battery saver mode while driving.
    I received the "service charging system" message today for the first time.
    Car randomly tells me I need to change oil often when start up and turn off
    I just changed my oil and filter less about 5 weeks ago barely drive the car.
    All of these problems usually happen on a cold start

Could swapping DEAL 45R in fix any or at least most of my problems ?

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RescueR6 View Post
    Could swapping DEAL 45R in fix any or at least most of my problems ?
    No.
    This "belt throwing fix" prevents the small thin A/C belt from being thrown off it's pulleys.
    Usually the A/C belt being thrown problem occurs after high RPM events.
    With your catalog of problems, start at the beginning of all your woes and get somebody competent to check the Harmonic Balancer is installed correctly and running true. At the same time have the entire work area around where the balancer installer did his thing inspected for any damages to cables and connectors. Visually inspect the MAF and air intake tubing, alternator, belts etc etc.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Paul View Post
    No.
    This "belt throwing fix" prevents the small thin A/C belt from being thrown off it's pulleys.
    Usually the A/C belt being thrown problem occurs after high RPM events.
    With your catalog of problems, start at the beginning of all your woes and get somebody competent to check the Harmonic Balancer is installed correctly and running true. At the same time have the entire work area around where the balancer installer did his thing inspected for any damages to cables and connectors. Visually inspect the MAF and air intake tubing, alternator, belts etc etc.
    Paul can you still supply the bracket and can you ship to the UK? .Thanks