Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volant Intake - Rotofab Radiator Cover - How Do You Do It?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Volant Intake - Rotofab Radiator Cover - How Do You Do It?

So I know this can be done with some surgery on the Rotofab radiator cover. Yes, I've done a search, no I couldn't find any posts other that some pictures of a grrrr8 looking install sans directions.

What surgery do I need to do to the Rotofab cover to make it work with the Volant CAI? I'm going to guess I need to do some trimming or bending of the cover around where the windshield washer fluid neck comes up? Anything to the left of there looks like it will fit no problem.

I even bought a Dremel tool just for this project, just don't want to %!$$%! up a $160 pieces of aluminum or have it look like ass when I'm done.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Freakin' perfect! I just needed to search for "Roto-Fab" instead of rotofab. This was the exact write up I was looking for and the surgery looks very easy. I'm going to use the cutting wheel on the Dremel for a cleaner cut, and then polish it down.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't press too hard with the cutoff wheel since the aluminum will clog the wheel if it gets too hot and melts. You might want to put some oil on the cut line which will stop the aluminum from sticking to the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRCUSTOMPARTS View Post
    Don't press too hard with the cutoff wheel since the aluminum will clog the wheel if it gets too hot and melts. You might want to put some oil on the cut line which will stop the aluminum from sticking to the wheel.
    Thanks! Will motor oil work? I have dino and synthetic both available. I don't have any mineral oil. Was definitely planning to take my time with the cutting wheel. I also have a heavy duty blade - or will the regular 420 blade be enough?
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

I used the 420 blade.. I just took my time with it. Like Don stated.. make sure to use some oil.. I used some of my synthetic I had on the shelf. Used a little bit at a time.
    It flings all over the place so make sure you have a towel near bye.
    Last edited by MongosG8; 03-28-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MongosG8 View Post
    I used the 420 blade.. I just took my time with it. Like Don stated.. make sure to use some oil.. I used some of my synthetic I had on the shelf. Used a little bit at a time.
    Is flings all over the place so make sure you have a towel near bye.
    Thanks, will do it in the shed and good to know the regular 420 blade will do the job. It's going to look a lot better with the cover in the engine bay.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

No Problem.. Like I said take your time with the 420 blade. Its not going to work like the heavy duty blade would but the heavy duty IMO would tear through it making it more rough.
    I gotten a smooth cut from the 420 ..with minimal sanding.
    If you gotten the black cover I just used flat black high temp paint with a few hits of spray ..covered up nice.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Mongo said, you can use any kind of oil. I use the synthetic drain oil from my car for cutting oil on the parts I make and it works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRCUSTOMPARTS View Post
    Like Mongo said, you can use any kind of oil. I use the synthetic drain oil from my car for cutting oil on the parts I make and it works great.
    Thanks. Because my last three vehicles didn't take an exact number of quarts of oil (6.5, 4.5, 8.8* in order) I have a shocking number of Mobil1 synthetic oil bottles in the storage area, shed, and driveway work cabinet with varying levels of Mobil1 in them. I've actually wondered if I have an oil change worth of oil for the Nissan Altima or Saturn Relay lying around if I combined them all up!
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT