Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Solo Exhaust with mufflers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo Exhaust with mufflers

Hey guys, some may think I'm crazy for asking this, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried running a performance cat back through factory mufflers or any mufflers. The reason I ask is, I have a Solo exhaust (I think it's the V1 or V2 it has the T in front of the mid muffleR) And as Solo states "in 4 cyl mode there is a low guttural". That sound is driving me crazy. I LOVE the way it sounds under power, but when normal hwy driving (this is what I mainly do), it seems like it always be in that "gutteral" mode. I have tried to adjust the J pipes, and I can't seem to make it sound any different. Any thought would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running the Solo Mach Balanced mid pipes (same as yours with H-pipe instead of T-pipe). I modified the rear mid-pipes to mate up to the stock axle backs. I have long tube headers from Doug Thorley. The systems is quiet with no drone. It was fine in four cylinder mode too. Now I have a cam with no 4 cyl mode.
    VE Commodore Sedan SS V-Series Special Edition, Left Hand Drive, PBM, Hacked Atari Gauges
    Power: 2014 Chevy Performance LS3 Crate Motor; Patrick G Tune, VCM Intake, Vector HSRK; Solo High Flow Cats, Solo Mid-Pipes
    Appearance: Vortekz Generators; RedlineGoods Shifter Boot; Holden Badges; GXP Diffuser; Stub antenna
    Handling: BMR Sub Frame Bushings, CTS-V Wheels, 255/40 & 285/35 Bridgestone S-04 Tires, GXP Rear Stabilizer Bar
    Brakes Centric Premium Rotors, ACDelco Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input on the muffler mod, I was wondering when you say it was quiet, was it quiet like stock or did it still have a little rumble to it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a full kooks system back to factory GT mufflers and it is almost as quiet as stock. Very, very quiet. I imagine it would be the same or quieter for you, depending on if you have the mid muffler and resonators. I have neither.
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
    Thanks for the input on the muffler mod, I was wondering when you say it was quiet, was it quiet like stock or did it still have a little rumble to it?
    A little more low frequency rumble than stock. Most people would think the car is stock. I'm going to make a set of axle backs from Vortex mufflers. I can switch back to the GT muffs if they are too loud.
    VE Commodore Sedan SS V-Series Special Edition, Left Hand Drive, PBM, Hacked Atari Gauges
    Power: 2014 Chevy Performance LS3 Crate Motor; Patrick G Tune, VCM Intake, Vector HSRK; Solo High Flow Cats, Solo Mid-Pipes
    Appearance: Vortekz Generators; RedlineGoods Shifter Boot; Holden Badges; GXP Diffuser; Stub antenna
    Handling: BMR Sub Frame Bushings, CTS-V Wheels, 255/40 & 285/35 Bridgestone S-04 Tires, GXP Rear Stabilizer Bar
    Brakes Centric Premium Rotors, ACDelco Ceramic Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Tune out 4cyl mode and gain 2mpgs on the highway??
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that all the time, but I was under the impression to do that you had to change the cam?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope its in the tune... you can leave all hardware the same and just adjust the tune to remove afm.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

That is very interesting, and this can be done with a hand held programmer like I see on Ebay?

Post Thanks / Like

the cortex will do it, but if you plan on any mods past a intake forget it and get vms/livernois/ or a custom tune.
    New Setup: UPP Twin Turbo Goodness Final numbers and parts list in progress... Pedders XA Coilovers, Pedders Street 1, Pedders Full Alignment Kit, Pedders Differential Bushings, Pedders Sway bars, Breyton 19x9.5 Wheels, Brembo Front and rear conversion. To be Tuned by Frost

OLD Setup:
    Magnuson TVS 1900, 2.9 pulley, LS9 Cam, Rotofab CAI, Keene Bell BAP, Kooks 1 7/8 Catted Mids, Corsa Catback, Pedders XA Coilovers, Pedders Street 1, Pedders Full Alignment Kit, Pedders Differential Bushings, Pedders Sway bars, Breyton 19x9.5 Wheels, Brembo Front and rear conversion. 498RWHP 497 RWT Tuned By Frost.