21 58.33%
  • Run them till they squeal!

9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Better Brakes On A Budget

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    No, you need spacers with the stock wheels.

I have VMR 710 which have plenty of clearance
    any idea what size? if we're talking 1-3mm I may just throw a set on. it doesn't *look* like you need that little of a spacer, but thought I'd ask.
    11 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Part of driving skills and DE school and learning the true power of your braking system in your car. I'd venture to guess that 90% of G8 owners have never come close to using the true, full power of the stock brakes even once. Here is the good news. They are damn good, and in repeated hard use they are not prone to serious fade.

Here is the bad news, they don't get adequate cooling as designed. Doesn't take a lot of hard driving on a lapping day to lightly warp the rotors and smoke the stock brake pads. Commentary is not meant to poo poo upgrading to bigger calipers/rotors - the only thing holding me back from doing it is the investment in new rims. I also can't stress light warping, we don't feel it unless we're braking hard at over 110 MPH, but the signal is clear that it needs to be addressed, and the stock system will not stand up to the rigors of repeated hot lapping.

But, if you want to stay with your stock 18" or 19" rims on a base or GT, upgraded pads, going with a quality drilled and slotted rotor (for better cooling to make up for design issues) and some better brake pads, you'll be very happy.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

so more than 3mm? LOL

upgrading would be half an aesthetic choice for me. the car is not a track car, but cast plain jane GM calipers look out of place on a 361HP German sedan busting Holden.
    11 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late answer Sephiroth....looks like you upgraded the car, not just the brakes lol. Congrats BTW!

I'm not sure on spacer thickness for the OEM wheels to clear the front Brembo calipers, but I do know more than a 5mm spacer will require you to purchase new lugs (to be safe).

BTW, I'm still very, very happy with this brake set-up.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Update. I've got over 75k (around 10-12k on the new brakes) miles now, and the brakes still feel like they were just installed. This car stops quicker than anything else I've driven. I've had to make a couple emergency stops, and it was accomplished easily. Very happy with this upgrade.
    Last edited by SRG963; 08-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Trigger

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

Since I did my upgrade they have been great much better that stock. A little bit more brake dust but after a weeks worth of driving nothing bad. 91,000+ on her now
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

is this something with no experience can do on their own? I'm pretty mechanically inclined with tools and you tube vids lol. I was going to just do rotors and brakes but for a few more bucks I can upgrade to a much better system.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fairly simple IMO. If you've ever done a brake job (Remove & Replace Rotors and Pads), you shouldn't have any issues. Everything bolts right up, do drilling out the holes like the Camaro upgrade, nothing requiring special tools.
    Trigger

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone set up ducting to cool the rotors?

Post Thanks / Like

Never did a brake job either but it looks straight forward.