Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Driving School at Virginia International Racetrack

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving School at Virginia International Racetrack

My son is trying to talk me into going to VIR for a two-day school event with my G8GT. VIR is a race track, not a drag strip. The car is stock. ~30k on original brakes and tires. Tires still are not worn to the wear bars yet, but are getting close. Any recommendations?

0k6x0385-adjusted&#.jpg
    Last edited by xruling; 03-03-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea better get some tires and get them scuffed up some before you hit the track. When is the event? Good luck, should be a blast. Oh I'd say some good ultra high performance summer tires if that works for you. Those type of tires will not works in the snow, just ask the people in atlanta!
    Last edited by BigV8; 01-21-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    09 G8 GXP A6 SRM with sunroof. Mods:Livernois magnacharger 2300, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids. 502rwhp/479tq. Suspension: BMR , Pedders Supercar coilovers, all Brembos. Show:CTS-V rims w/nitto invos 255/40 and 285/35. HSV triple gauges & CP smokers pack RIP Charlie.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, BigV8. Don't some guys shave tires down for track use? I was thinking that I would probably need new ones after time on the track, but that maybe these would be just right for a day on the track. I know first hand that "summer only" really, really means summer only, well, fall and spring are OK, just nothing close to frozen water. I took a running start up my longish, sloped driveway last winter and after I stopped, the car just slid back down the driveway! Would not even sit there on the icy snow with those sport tires. They are scary.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about the tires - you need to get brakes more than anything. It's a big heavy car, and race track braking demands will toast the stock pads within 30 minutes.

I'd explore getting stock replacement pads and having them on hand those 2 days so you have them if you need them. If the budget will allow, also get some high performance pads to race with, and stock pads to drive home on.

Other than that, track days are even more fun (and better training) than straight line racing. Go for it!
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on how hard you plan on pushing the car as far as tires. Tom is right about the brake pads, I'm sure you have done at least one replacement?
    09 G8 GXP A6 SRM with sunroof. Mods:Livernois magnacharger 2300, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids. 502rwhp/479tq. Suspension: BMR , Pedders Supercar coilovers, all Brembos. Show:CTS-V rims w/nitto invos 255/40 and 285/35. HSV triple gauges & CP smokers pack RIP Charlie.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope - Still have the stock pads, but I like the idea of getting some better ones. Hawk, EBC, Carbotech, Bendix, ???? decisions, decisions ...

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done one event at VIR and one at CMP as my first experiences with tracking. It is a blast! My thoughts are, if you've got tread left, you're probably OK with your tires but totally agree on the brake pads...new ones are a requirement. I used Hawk HPS and they worked very well for VIR and they are fine on the streets as well although they do generate quite a bit of dust. CMP is more brutal on brakes so I wish I had better bite there. I'm thinking on going to better pads than the HPS for this season. I'm hoping to go to VIR too. When are you looking at going?
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug, i think he said at the end of Feb. Thanks for weighing in on the Hawk HPS. I already had them in a shopping cart. Good to get some more confirmation.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem. They worked well for me. I know there's a school there with someone Feb 12/13 but I may not be able to make that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xruling View Post
    Hi Doug, i think he said at the end of Feb. Thanks for weighing in on the Hawk HPS. I already had them in a shopping cart. Good to get some more confirmation.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

So, among many other things, I learned that you can never have too much braking capability on a road race course. I learned if you do not have confidence in your ability to stop/slow as necessary, you will not have the confidence to fully leverage gobs of torque and horsepower. I learned that a stock G8 GT, with sticky summer street tires, is far more capable that I would have ever imagined. The TarHeel Chapter of the BMW Car Club of America is a damn fine group of good people that knows how to extend hospitality. BMWs, Porshes, Corvettes, a Pontiac G8 GT, a Subaru STI, an Acura NSX, a MB E63 AMG Wagon, a Focus SVT, and even a Hyundai Sonata all got along warmly and had a darn good time together. The Audi Club will be at VIR in April... :-), but I think a Friday at Summit Point will be next.