Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Intake advice for hot weather application

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intake advice for hot weather application

Well, it's time for the ill fitting SLP intake to go.

I have a G8 GT with the LP mod done, so I can either go with a Roto-fab or a Vararam/VCM OTR. My question to you all is what do you think is best for a really hot locale like Arizona. The temps here can easily get into the 115 range, (ambient). So is an OTR a bad idea with the heat soak or is it better to go with the side mount and hope that the LP mod brings in slightly cooler air?

Any advice appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I had very good luck with my Vararam intake here in AZ and never really noticed to bad of an issue with heat soak and I didn't have the relocation kit either. I can see where sitting over the hot radiator could do that but I never noticed. I switched over to the roto-fab recently and haven't had a lot of time to test it out in the heat yet.
    2008 G8 GT - Ignition Orange Metallic
    SHOW - GXP Wheels and Rear Diffuser, Completely Debadged, GM Roof Rack, Thule Bike Carrier.
    GO - TVS1900, ARH 1 - 7/8" Headers, VMS Tune, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Pedders Sway Bars,

My Tri Traveler

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a HSRK

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Vararam with Heat-Soak Reduction Kit should do a good job in the heat, and it'll also handle rain like a champ. The Vararam's a straight shot for the incoming air in front of your radiator, and if you pair it with an HSRK and mount it where Charlie suggests, it'll also put the intake air temperature sensor right in the incoming air stream. That should help you with the heat soak.

I know I've enjoyed my Vararam so far, and installing it also felt like it kicked the engine's "pep" up a notch. Even my roomie at the time, who rode in the passenger seat on the inaugural ride, could feel it. Mind, that was a switch from the stock airbox to a CAI, so I'm not sure if you'd see similar "seat of the pants" improvement going from CAI to CAI. But the Vararam also seems to have done quite well here in the North Carolina summer heat.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Thanks to all for the info. I forgot to mention, I do have an HSRK waiting for install, just not going to bother putting it on the SLoP intake. Any other input is appreciated!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Any intake you decide to use needs a HSRK in the hot Arizona weather. I have one installed in my Volant, it doesn't get nowhere near as hot here in Chicago and I noticed a big improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Yeah, the Vararam with Heat-Soak Reduction Kit should do a good job in the heat, and it'll also handle rain like a champ. The Vararam's a straight shot for the incoming air in front of your radiator, and if you pair it with an HSRK and mount it where Charlie suggests, it'll also put the intake air temperature sensor right in the incoming air stream. That should help you with the heat soak.

I know I've enjoyed my Vararam so far, and installing it also felt like it kicked the engine's "pep" up a notch. Even my roomie at the time, who rode in the passenger seat on the inaugural ride, could feel it. Mind, that was a switch from the stock airbox to a CAI, so I'm not sure if you'd see similar "seat of the pants" improvement going from CAI to CAI. But the Vararam also seems to have done quite well here in the North Carolina summer heat.
    Good post.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have to put the NEP OTR out there. No water issues, and picks up good numbers.
    2008 White Hot G8 GT - SOLD
    Power: 430 LS3, Vararam, ARH 1 7/8 LTs w/ Magnaflow Axleback, Patrick G. Tune
    Looks: 6000k HIDs, 19" Sport wheels
    Suspension: BMR Rear Trailing Arms, Subframe Bushings, and Toe Rods, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, H&R Sport Springs
    423/406

Current - BMW 2007 335i

Post Thanks / Like

Get them heater hoses off that fuel rail.

Cool air + cool fuel = more power to ya!
    The "Cheap-@ss Modder" and Thread Killer
    Just Sitting The Bench Now
    "Git that boy a cold rag for his head"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
    Get them heater hoses off that fuel rail.

Cool air + cool fuel = more power to ya!
    Yep, that's in the works too. And thanks for all the input. I checking into the NEP, but was worried about the metal case. It takes metal forever to cool down out here.