Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: vms hsrk - got more than I expected, in a good way!

Post Thanks / Like

Default vms hsrk - got more than I expected, in a good way!

Starting to get hot in Ohio so ordered and installed VMS HSRK into the stock airbox snorkle about a month ago. Already had a wix airfilter in the box. I instantly noticed better performance (which I was expecting) and that my care would now shift right at the 6K - 6050 redline (which I wasn't expecting). Previously, it would shift at 5800 rpm's. FYI ... It also makes a nice whistle somewhere in the 5-6K range. Did anybody else have the same thing happen to them? Would the timing retard due to heat soak do this? hard to believe one little sensor would change the shift points.

FWIW, I Really like this setup if your car is stock and plan on keeping it that way, at least thru the warranty. Works better than the Volant intake I put on w/o doing a tune. That just seemed to confuse the car
    2009.1 G8 GT - SRM Premium & Sport packages (5 series suspension standard!)
    Billet Catch Can, Volant CAI
    2004 Saab 9-3 5-speed
    2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
    2000 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (Complete POS!)
    1987 BMW 535i 5-speed (Picked it up w/ 96K and sold around 150K due to freon being outlawed)
    1994 Acura Integra (reliable, efficient, & boring)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently installed a HSRK I got from Marty here in the club and my trans shifts much better too. If the intake air temp is too high, the motor pulls timing and that effects performance AND shifting of the trans.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently installed a HSRK I got from Marty here in the club and my trans shifts much better too. If the intake air temp is too high, the motor pulls timing and that effects performance AND shifting of the trans.
    I bought my car in Nov. 09 and drove it some thru the winter when the roads were dry and I'm sure the air intake temp. was lower when it was 30-50 degrees out than the current temps (80-90) and the car always shifted at 5800 rpms prior to the install of the HSRK. Don't get me wrong, I like it; especially the little whistle I here at the top of the rpm band. Just trying to understand how the car works I guess.
    2009.1 G8 GT - SRM Premium & Sport packages (5 series suspension standard!)
    Billet Catch Can, Volant CAI
    2004 Saab 9-3 5-speed
    2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
    2000 Volkswagen GTI VR6 (Complete POS!)
    1987 BMW 535i 5-speed (Picked it up w/ 96K and sold around 150K due to freon being outlawed)
    1994 Acura Integra (reliable, efficient, & boring)

Post Thanks / Like

Where I live in the Bay Area the temp change is pretty high between night and day. It will be in the 90's when I head to work and the car runs okay, but when I head home later that night, and the cool dense air is blowing through off the bay my car becomes a monster.
    Pat G Tune & DOD cam, Rick C TB, LSA, Ported Heads, Circle D 2600 Stall
    OBX Exhaust, SLP UDP,H&R springs, Koni Shocks
    BP catch can, BMR Bushings/suspension/chassis
    V Brembo's, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, 3.27s Gears

Bolt ons Street tires
    12.649@107.817 60ft 1.96 Da 700ft

Heads/Cam pre stall Street tires
    12.16@114.21 60ft 1.75 Da -200

After Stall
    11.82@115.9 60ft 1.66 DA 400ft

Zex 125shot
    11.48@124 60ft 1.83 DA 2000ft

Post Thanks / Like

Just installed mine last weekend. It's high 90's here every day right now. I also opened up my hood vents and did the under panel mod for my CAI. I've noticed a big difference. It pulls harder, smoother and to higher rpm's, but since I did all 3 at once, I'm not sure if any one mod deserves all the credit.
    09.5 LR G8 GXP A6
    For mods list, honk 3 times.