Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Roto-Fab filter question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roto-Fab filter question

So I recently purchased a used Roto-Fab intake from a guy local in AZ and he claims it has the dry filter. Is there a way to verify this? Secondly is it ok to run the oiled type filter dry?
    2008 G8 GT - Ignition Orange Metallic
    SHOW - GXP Wheels and Rear Diffuser, Completely Debadged, GM Roof Rack, Thule Bike Carrier.
    GO - TVS1900, ARH 1 - 7/8" Headers, VMS Tune, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Pedders Sway Bars,

My Tri Traveler

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with the filter id. There may be part numbers on it that you can look up. Mine has the afe pro dry filter and it is a different color than my oiled filter. As to your second question, the answer is a qualified yes. You can run an oiled filter dry but you lose a good measure of its filtering capability. The oil in the filter media traps and holds much of the dust that passes into the filter. Without oil, much of the finer particles will just pass through. Personally, I wouldn't run it that way.
    2009.5 G8 GT, Patrick G. tuned-389rwhp, 379tq

...your lack of faith disturbs me...

Post Thanks / Like

My oiled one is red, the dry ones I've seen were blue.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is Red and can be cleaned with the K&N filter cleaner and you can use the K&N Oil.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

I think dry filters became an option on the later Roto-Fabs. Might want to check with them. Anyway, red=oiled.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

If its an oiled type, its already oiled. They last quite a while before cleaning and oiling is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have asked Roto_Fab this question, can I get thie CAI w/o an oil type filter. I emailed and called them. Wanted to order the CAI and radiator cover. Never got an answer back from them. Guess I will recheck to see if they now have a dry filter.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)