Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Yet another air filter question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another air filter question

So if a guy was going to put a cone filter (or 2 ) behind the grille or the lower part of a GTS bumper where it would get wet if it was driven in the rain would he use an oiled type or would dry stand up to it?
    I know from the NEP OTR thread that our engines can stand a little water while running and this set up would not leak any in while sitting and i could make some kind of quick release shield if i had to that could be installed with the threat of rain ( non DD obviously).
    Any thoughts or experience with open filters.

Thanks, Kim.
    08 IOM GT 20x8.5 20x10 Breytons GTS, 1 7/8 Kooks, 3'' custom exhaust with side exit and cutouts all ceramic coated. 3600 Yank, 3.90 gears. Pedders XAs and bushings, custom rear lower control arms, full length frame connectors, bottom painted hot rod black with IOM suspension. 125 wet plate nitrous, 175 direct port with dedicated fuel system, FAST LSX intake, Meziere electric water pump. All lines converted to Hard SS or black braided. Vararam, remote oil filter, billet valve and coil covers, aluminum and carbon fiber engine panels custom stereo with eclipse amps and 12'' sub in custom box, billet alum/carbon fiber/plexiglass trunk floor. GTS fenders, Evolution nose and hood with custom scoop
    Started but not done: custom paint, custom interior with 4 GTS style seats.
    Not the fastest but close enough for Rock and Roll.

Post Thanks / Like

You would need a pre-filter(s) element to cover the filter, like this blue one from Amsoil
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

I've still got that "heater hose isolator" if you want it.
    The "Cheap-@ss Modder" and Thread Killer
    Just Sitting The Bench Now
    "Git that boy a cold rag for his head"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRG963 View Post
    You would need a pre-filter(s) element to cover the filter, like this blue one from Amsoil
    Not a bad idea, website says water resistant but not waterproof. Not planning on driving the rain but inevitable i'll get caught once in a while. Anyone run an exposed element?
    08 IOM GT 20x8.5 20x10 Breytons GTS, 1 7/8 Kooks, 3'' custom exhaust with side exit and cutouts all ceramic coated. 3600 Yank, 3.90 gears. Pedders XAs and bushings, custom rear lower control arms, full length frame connectors, bottom painted hot rod black with IOM suspension. 125 wet plate nitrous, 175 direct port with dedicated fuel system, FAST LSX intake, Meziere electric water pump. All lines converted to Hard SS or black braided. Vararam, remote oil filter, billet valve and coil covers, aluminum and carbon fiber engine panels custom stereo with eclipse amps and 12'' sub in custom box, billet alum/carbon fiber/plexiglass trunk floor. GTS fenders, Evolution nose and hood with custom scoop
    Started but not done: custom paint, custom interior with 4 GTS style seats.
    Not the fastest but close enough for Rock and Roll.

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a dry type filter for this application
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    Use a dry type filter for this application
    Thanks Charlie, just what I thought.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)