Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: electric fan harness

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like
    GTO spares and jack kit 200 OBO
    rear 17x9.5 rims 200 OBO

Post Thanks / Like

This thread was very helpful with tracking down parts. But could any one guess why this would happen? I need to figure out what happened before I replace the wiring. Fans are not coming on when I tested them with hard wiring. 10626620_10154494626940338_1250024891189196466_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Fans can pull quite a bit of amperage... If I had to guess, one siezed up and burned up the wiring/connector... I'd be concerned about the other end of that lead, where it connects to the fuse box if they're relay controlled.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Well since I rehashed a old thread. The harness looks fine, the fans end of the pigtail took the blow of the damage. I can not get the fans to come on when hard wiring them to a car battery. Does any one know where the best place to get a brand new fan set is for the G8 Gt's? Should I stick with replacement or is there upgrades out there?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzy View Post
    Well since I rehashed a old thread. The harness looks fine, the fans end of the pigtail took the blow of the damage. I can not get the fans to come on when hard wiring them to a car battery. Does any one know where the best place to get a brand new fan set is for the G8 Gt's? Should I stick with replacement or is there upgrades out there?
    Same thing happened to mine I'm guessing it was due to the prior owner installing a Vararam and since the radiator sits back so far it was wedged in between the metal bar surrounding the ECU and rad.
    I just replaced it with a 4 wire trailer connector I found at Walmart and it's been holding up fine.

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzy View Post
    I can not get the fans to come on when hard wiring them to a car battery.
    Sounds dodgy.
    There may not have been anything wrong with your fans before you amped them with the car battery.

The fans and their switching into various stages or modes is controlled by the Engine Control Module.
    Fans are switched by a ground being supplied, not by power being supplied.
    See below.

Fans1.jpg

Fans2.jpg

Last edited by Crazy Paul; 08-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I do not think that would have fried them. Before I did any testing on them I used a test light to make sure what wires were power & ground. There is only 2 wires per fan and one of them was a power wire. So sending 12 volts to the fan should not cause any issues just for testing. Going to see my tech tonight to have him take a look.

If they do need to be replaced. I have only found v6 fans on ebay and none for the G8 GT. Not sure if this would work on the V8 Part No. GM3115221

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM3115221-Ra...0a008e&vxp=mtr

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!