Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Speaker replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaker replacement

I am wanting to replace the speakers with something with better sound and clarity.
    I have a set of Diamond Audio 6.5 components for to use up front and Diamond coax in the rear (speakers were from a past ride and have been sitting collecting dust).

What I would like to know, is what folks are replacing the center speaker with and also the subs?
    I was told by one shop that the back subs are a futile effort and nothing is really gonna help back there. I don't completely buy that.

I know I'll have to go with a new amp (2 ohm vs 4).

I want a nice clean sound and not looking to blow the doors off of anyone.
    What is everyone else using (speaker and amp wise) in their setups??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badco View Post
    I am wanting to replace the speakers with something with better sound and clarity.
    I have a set of Diamond Audio 6.5 components for to use up front and Diamond coax in the rear (speakers were from a past ride and have been sitting collecting dust).

What I would like to know, is what folks are replacing the center speaker with and also the subs?
    I was told by one shop that the back subs are a futile effort and nothing is really gonna help back there. I don't completely buy that.

I know I'll have to go with a new amp (2 ohm vs 4).

I want a nice clean sound and not looking to blow the doors off of anyone.
    What is everyone else using (speaker and amp wise) in their setups??
    I am also using Diamond Audio speakers in the doors. The stock amps in the head unit seem to be
    doing a good job on these 4 ohm speakers. I think they must have far greater sensitivity than the stockers. I can rattle the car at about 36 level without any distortion.
    As for the center channel I am using a 3 1/2" Pioneer coax with a 8 ohm resister in series with the
    + lead. A better choice might be the 3 1/2 " Vifa closeout 16 ohm avail. from Parts Express.com.(299-223)=$8.00 plus frt.
    Several others have used this Vifa; check out some past theads. I think you will be very pleased with
    the Diamonds and the stock amp.
    Last edited by ratsrats; 05-13-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

The factory rear subs are really what I would call a mid-bass speaker. I added a self-powered 10" sub box in the trunk and it satisfies the need for some thump (for the time being). I would not mind upgrading the door speakers to something better as time goes on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsrats View Post
    I am also using Diamond Audio speakers in the doors. The stock amps in the head unit seem to be
    doing a good job on these 4 ohm speakers. I think they must have far greater sensitivity than the stockers. I can rattle the car at about 36 level without any distortion.
    As for the center channel I am using a 3 1/2" Pioneer coax with a 8 ohm resister in series with the
    + lead. A better choice might be the 3 1/2 " Vifa closeout 16 ohm avail. from Parts Express.com.
    Several others have used this Vifa; check out some past theads. I think you will be very pleased with
    Awesome!! I wasn't wanting to spend anymore cash than I really HAD to.

Quote Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
    The factory rear subs are really what I would call a mid-bass speaker. I added a self-powered 10" sub box in the trunk and it satisfies the need for some thump (for the time being). I would not mind upgrading the door speakers to something better as time goes on.
    A speaker box in the trunk is a "no go". Need the space for a stroller. And groceries. And what ever else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsrats View Post
    + lead. A better choice might be the 3 1/2 " Vifa closeout 16 ohm avail. from Parts Express.com.
    As far as the subs go I'm also still searching for a nice plug-n-play option, but the center channel I would recommend the Vifa speaker from Parts Express also. I had a Polk speaker in it without the resistor and it was too loud (overpowering actually with its tweeter), but I swapped it out with the Vifa center speaker an all is great now. I've got Polk DB651 in the doors.
    Tim

2009 PSM GT Fully Loaded
    GM Sirius Connect SIRGM2L - INSTALLED (No more XM!!!)
    Fasterproms Ported Intake Manifold w/LS3 TB
    Camaro Brembo Brakes @ all 4 corners
    Complete GXP Suspension Swap
    GXP Axle-Back Exhaust w/x-pipe
    Hacked Atari 3 Gauge Display
    Superchips Cortex Tuned
    Vararam Ram Air Intake
    OEM Bluetooth Add-on
    BMR Front Swaybar
    HSV Valve Covers
    20" Camaro Rims
    Vector HSRK
    6k HID's

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the door speakers w/ Infinitys and replaced the factory subs with 8" Kicker subs and a 200W sub amp. The stock amp still drives the door and center speakers, and it gets quite loud enough for me The stock rear sub amp is only 40 watts so plan on replacing it first thing.
    2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Stock 19" Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Red S/S Engine Bolt Kit - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino
    GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - Billet Catch Can - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Red Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox
    ALSO - DashHawk 5.1 - Full Slide Passenger Seat - Infinity / Kicker / MTX Audio - LED Interior /Glovebox / Console Lights - Rear Remote Trunk Release

Post Thanks / Like

there is so much room in the trunk for a stroller,tools AND a two speaker kicker box..I know because i had it.Now i have my own custom built enclosure in the spare tire well.kicks ass and no waste of space.If you are not handy,pm NDm here on the board,he built one for another member and i saw it first hand.awesome.

and the door speakers,dont wait another day,change 'em! so easy and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
    its not how shiny it is or how fast it is,its how you drive it!
    GT,prem,sport pkgs
    hood deflector
    GXP diffuser
    smoked corner and tail signals
    trunk mat
    kicker subs-sony amp(custom well ecl.-me build!)
    Infinity 2way doors
    MTX re-q (for subs)
    35% tint all around
    red LED's under dash + seats
    Vararam & HSRK
    Kaltech custom 93 tune
    Solo axlebacks
    333RWHP/340RWTQ (mustang dyno)

Post Thanks / Like

Rockford Fosgate P3L-s12 takes up almost no room, has plenty of punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Badco View Post
    Awesome!! I wasn't wanting to spend anymore cash than I really HAD to.

A speaker box in the trunk is a "no go". Need the space for a stroller. And groceries. And what ever else.