Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Anyone know of a good cheap scan tool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone know of a good cheap scan tool

Hi,

Looking to buy a cheap obdII scan tool that is capable of clearing codes. Anyone know a good brand to get and where to get it? Sick of having to run to autozone every time my F250 decides to have a coil crap out.

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight has some cheaper ones. To bad this is not the 80's when all you needed was a paper clip and a list of codes.

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

otc 3108 it cheaper and you dont need a paper clip.. All it does is read and clear codes..The otc 3109 is a code reader and displays live data for about 175.00 and the new otc 3111 which comes out may does all that and it has code fix which tells you what the most common repair is for that code and vehicle specific.. The 3109 and 3111 are both internet updatable..Hope this helps and all this is available at carquest..Tell them you want it from tool and equipment in wisconsin..
    09 g8gt psm superchips, custom flowmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm... Mine was $90 at Autozone. $10 cheaper than Harbor Freight (I shopped around).

It's a little orange one, reads and clears, that's it.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Mostly Stock
    1985 Chevrolet El Camino - 5.3 LC9 Swap In Progress
    1985.5 Porsche 944 - DD (For Sale)

MAP2 Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Just an FYI, I work at Advance Auto and the new sales ads we just got are advertising 50% off some of our code scanners
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT- MGM, Vararam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y "Longtubes", X-pipe, VMS Tuned, Magnaflow Axlebacks, 20x8.5 Breyton Race CS, 35% tint all the way around, lots of GraphicsWerx Overlays, ViP + WD Live, 35W 6K HID's, Plastidipped, Polk's in the doors, 12" IDQ12V3 w/ Alpine 500w Mono

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Alex Peper's scan tool for years. It's much more than just a scan/reset tool, is more expensive than those mentioned above, hooks up to your PC/laptop, and all software upgrades are free: http://obd-2.com/

JAM
    Last edited by JAM; 04-24-2010 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're located in Canada or near the border, look for a Princess Auto, as I picked up an OBDII scantool for my dad's car there for $30. And you know what? Works really well at pulling the codes, giving you a whole book of codes, letting you clear it, get vin info, other trouble codes and diagnostics...really not bad!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I posted this on the other forum but I have the AutoXray here: http://www.amazon.com/AutoXray-AX700...209228&sr=8-31 reads, clears, lets you know if the car is IM ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up getting one at Harbor Freight (on sale plus a 20% off coupon). First one I tried was a rebadged Autel MaxiScan MS309 ~$40 after discounts. The unit was pretty nice but it would not work on the 2002 F250, worked fine on the G8. I took it back and tried another, same issue. I then tried the next level up one they had rebadged MaxiScan MS509 ~$100 after discounts. This one works on both vehicles. I ended up spending a bit more then I wanted too but the 509 does have the ability to upgrade the firmware and DTC's and has a few more features then the 309.