Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID install questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default HID install questions

Hi Gang,

did a search and could not find anything here,.
    OK I installed my 6000k HID on the weekend, bit of a pain but got it done none the less.
    here is my newbie G8 question, since the outside lamps are for the night time lights, which ones are the day time driving lights ? my HID seem to be on all the time now. The gauge cluster brightens and dims when needed ( parked in garage, then exposed to sun light) does the outter lamps ( now my HID) always stay on ?

I have always had chevy cars and the last one 2004 Monte Carlo ss, my HID only came on when driving at night. The day time driving lights were on the rest of the time.

Is this something different with the G8 or is this a voltage issue with the transformer ? Just curious and don't want to uninstall the HID to figure out how this worked from the factory ?

The high beams work fine with the level. Just curious, hopefully I have not confused you all.

thanks

Corey

Post Thanks / Like

Daytime drivers are the same, just a lower voltage going to them during light time driving...
    2009 SBM G8GT (Garage Queen)
    Best Time- 12.640 @ 111.78 1.994 60' w/2.92 gears NOW- 3.45s and fast!
    click on any colored words in sig for more detail
    8222 miles and resting 8/16/2020

Post Thanks / Like

IF you asking how to stop the HID's from running all of the time, then you need to pull the DRL fuse and I THINK it is number 11. You do not want to run your HID's as DRL's since the lower volts can hurt your ballast.
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect thank you, I thought something was wrong....had to tell the lower voltage VS higher voltage when all you see is the reflection in people bumper....lol 1st time driving with them since I installed on sat !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vert View Post
    IF you asking how to stop the HID's from running all of the time, then you need to pull the DRL fuse and I THINK it is number 11. You do not want to run your HID's as DRL's since the lower volts can hurt your ballast.
    how do you hurt a digital ballast ? you have peeked my curiosity.
    thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

they'll burn out...
    2009 SBM G8GT (Garage Queen)
    Best Time- 12.640 @ 111.78 1.994 60' w/2.92 gears NOW- 3.45s and fast!
    click on any colored words in sig for more detail
    8222 miles and resting 8/16/2020

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks for the info,,

so is everyone on this board with HID pulling the DRL fuse ? or is there another way around it ?

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

I say majority pull the fuse, if not all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte04ss View Post
    Great thanks for the info,,

so is everyone on this board with HID pulling the DRL fuse ? or is there another way around it ?

thanks again
    2008 MGM GT. Patrick G spec'd 222/226 .597”/.605” 115LSA +3 cam, Ported TB, Ported Manifold, 25% PB UDP, 180* Tstat, Vararam w/HSRK, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, X w/cats and muffs, GXP Diffuser, B Splitter, 6000K HID's, 6.0L Badges, Tinted Side,Rear Markers and Tails, 15% Window Tint, Blackedout Chrome, Ghost Stripes, G2 Red Calipers

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again, I appreciate the help.

out to the garage to pull #11 fuse..

thx

Post Thanks / Like

Yes pull the fuse. You will still have the DRL light symbol on your dash telling you they are on thou. I just trun the light switch to off when starting the car and that takes of it also.
    09 G8 GXP A6 SRM with sunroof. Mods:Livernois magnacharger 2300, 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, KB Bap. Rotofab,Corsa, Kooks 1 7/8 mids. 502rwhp/479tq. Suspension: BMR , Pedders Supercar coilovers, all Brembos. Show:CTS-V rims w/nitto invos 255/40 and 285/35. HSV triple gauges & CP smokers pack RIP Charlie.