Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fluid Change | 30,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Transmission Fluid Change | 30,000 miles

When are you guys changing your tranny fluid out. Dealer is recommending every 30,000. I have almost 50K on my 2009 G8GT. Please advise.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is in the manual. There is a post somewhere where you can download a pdf version of that. I have 27k miles and haven't even considered changing the fluid though.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.pontiac.com/manuals/

To answer your question, 50k for hard driving conditions, 100k for easy driving conditions. I am going to change every 50k.
    Last edited by SRG963; 08-18-2010 at 03:12 AM.
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

My plan was to change it every 20k but seems like i am every 5k now due to other things lol.
    Can't move out its own way- idk what number motor its on, how much boost, how big of a shot, its starts, im happy.

Post Thanks / Like

So we have anywhere from 20K to 100K... thanks for all the help :-) I did look in the manual, but I know there is a lot of "grey" in it. Many people have reported their cars being a quart low from the factory (or they just didn't notice it leaking - dim-wits didn't give us a dipstick, so I can't look at the fluid, smell it, etc, to gauge health. I do know two people that blew their tranny (around 20-30K miles). Yes, they both drag race the car (isn't that why we bought these), but this seemingly "monster" of a tranny found also in other aggressive rides has some potential to fall on its face. Now, I don't know if they were doing neutral drops or just plain stupid, but these guys know how to drive, and they drive hard. I just want to keep the 'environmentals' in the best shape possible.

My dealer wants to put in 13 qts, they do the usual "flush" (hopefully at the proper operating temperature) and they said every 30K. I guess since I have almost 50K on mine, I'm going to spend the $189 and do it (It takes them 1hr to do the job, it would take me at least three so its worth the $ to me). They said they replaced two G8GT trannies last month, both were covered, but they are $5K a piece! One guy at the dealership (who also owns a G8GT) said he does his every 30K. I don't believe after speaking with them, that they just want to up the frequency for the cash flow.

You also have TSBs regarding transmission slip (between 2 and 3), etc... I don't have any of that, but I understand that fluid can play a role in such behavior --- especially if you're a quart low.
    2009 G8GT - Liquid Red. A Couple GRRRR8 Mods, ARH 1-7/8" Long Tubes, RotoFab CAI, VMS 93, Magnaflow Axle-backs, Praying Mantis

Post Thanks / Like

i was told by two seperate dealers to do it at 50k..i drive hard and they werent concerned...
    its not how shiny it is or how fast it is,its how you drive it!
    GT,prem,sport pkgs
    hood deflector
    GXP diffuser
    smoked corner and tail signals
    trunk mat
    kicker subs-sony amp(custom well ecl.-me build!)
    Infinity 2way doors
    MTX re-q (for subs)
    35% tint all around
    red LED's under dash + seats
    Vararam & HSRK
    Kaltech custom 93 tune
    Solo axlebacks
    333RWHP/340RWTQ (mustang dyno)

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing mine at 25K. I look at the original trans/rear differential fluids like "breakin" types. Also, the trans on the V6 has two filters, both will be replaced. Old habits are hard to break. But I have to think that there are "impuries" caused by the initial wear, therefore the change out. A step further will be a complete brake fluid change out when new pads and rotors installed, hopefully around 30K. This will be the pre flight maintenance before the National Meet.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

I had mine changed at 3500... only because I had the flare fixed...

What dealer/ where in NY are you?
    2009 SBM G8GT (Garage Queen)
    Best Time- 12.640 @ 111.78 1.994 60' w/2.92 gears NOW- 3.45s and fast!
    click on any colored words in sig for more detail
    8222 miles and resting 8/16/2020

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8Geek View Post
    So we have anywhere from 20K to 100K... thanks for all the help :-) I did look in the manual, but I know there is a lot of "grey" in it. Many people have reported their cars being a quart low from the factory (or they just didn't notice it leaking - dim-wits didn't give us a dipstick, so I can't look at the fluid, smell it, etc, to gauge health. I do know two people that blew their tranny (around 20-30K miles). Yes, they both drag race the car (isn't that why we bought these), but this seemingly "monster" of a tranny found also in other aggressive rides has some potential to fall on its face. Now, I don't know if they were doing neutral drops or just plain stupid, but these guys know how to drive, and they drive hard. I just want to keep the 'environmentals' in the best shape possible.

My dealer wants to put in 13 qts, they do the usual "flush" (hopefully at the proper operating temperature) and they said every 30K. I guess since I have almost 50K on mine, I'm going to spend the $189 and do it (It takes them 1hr to do the job, it would take me at least three so its worth the $ to me). They said they replaced two G8GT trannies last month, both were covered, but they are $5K a piece! One guy at the dealership (who also owns a G8GT) said he does his every 30K. I don't believe after speaking with them, that they just want to up the frequency for the cash flow.

You also have TSBs regarding transmission slip (between 2 and 3), etc... I don't have any of that, but I understand that fluid can play a role in such behavior --- especially if you're a quart low.

The TSB you are referring to is regarding inverted pump seals, not fluid level. I think 50,000 Miles is a good milage to have it done for more spirited driving habits.
    2008 MazdaSpeed 3 - A few Mods
    2009 Panther Black G8GT -
    VMS ECU/TCU Tune, Vararam Intake, FasterProms Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT's mated to a Magnaflow catback with Magnaflow Spun Metallic Cats, & Powerbond UD Pulley

Post Thanks / Like

What dealer/ where in NY are you?
    Thanks for all the feedback, I'm getting it done today. I'm located in Southern Dutchess County, NY but I use a dealer in NJ close to where I work (ez for drop-offs)... Plus I know a few of them there via common friends. If you're by Newburgh NY, there is a "modification" - friendly dealer there: http://www.colandreabuickpontiacgmc.com/

I am doing mine at 25K. I look at the original trans/rear differential fluids like "breakin" types.
    -Makes sense to me!
    2009 G8GT - Liquid Red. A Couple GRRRR8 Mods, ARH 1-7/8" Long Tubes, RotoFab CAI, VMS 93, Magnaflow Axle-backs, Praying Mantis