Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Alternator Whine

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternator Whine

I know there are a number of posts about alternator whine but none have a clear answer on how to get rid of it. Mine is now to the point that I can not take it anymore, it is louder them my Solo Exhaust. I am going to take it in sometime but I am sure it is 50/50 that they will tell me its normal.

Has anyone found a fix yet? Is there a brand of Alternator that will not whine? Also per engineering mode my battery never gets charged above 60%. Time for a new battery? Will that help?

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJacket View Post
    I know there are a number of posts about alternator whine but none have a clear answer on how to get rid of it. Mine is now to the point that I can not take it anymore, it is louder them my Solo Exhaust. I am going to take it in sometime but I am sure it is 50/50 that they will tell me its normal.

Has anyone found a fix yet? Is there a brand of Alternator that will not whine? Also per engineering mode my battery never gets charged above 60%. Time for a new battery? Will that help?
    Mine was really loud, I got them to replace it and its been quiet ever since. Just really nag them.
    2008 MazdaSpeed 3 - A few Mods
    2009 Panther Black G8GT -
    VMS ECU/TCU Tune, Vararam Intake, FasterProms Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT's mated to a Magnaflow catback with Magnaflow Spun Metallic Cats, & Powerbond UD Pulley

Post Thanks / Like

Would that be covered under "Powertrain"?
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope that would be covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. Powertrain is the engine block and internal parts, transmission and rear differential.

Great Lakes Moderator BlueJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRCUSTOMPARTS View Post
    Nope that would be covered by the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. Powertrain is the engine block and internal parts, transmission and rear differential.
    They will cover the water pump so maybe there is a chance.

2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT
    2010 Camaro SS Wheels, Holden V8 Badges, Crazy Paul GPS Trim Package, Blacked Out Arrowheads, Red Calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, DBA 4000 T3 Rotors, Rebadged Trunk, 3.5" Stubby Antenna, Holden Engine Covers, Engine Cover Overlays, Engine Dress Up Items, Holden V6 Rad Cover, GXP Rear Diffuser W/Tinted Reflectors, Flips Tinted Tails, Hood Vent Mod, Grrrr8 IC Mod, Solo Mach Balanced Exhaust with 3.5" Tips and NEP OTR

Post Thanks / Like

Mine sounds like a damn supercharger when I start my car but it only last for 20-30sec.
    2011 high performance white mustang 3.73, vortech, vortech cai, kb bap, o/r h pipe, gt500 axleback, frpp lowering springs, 20' true forged wheels.

Gone white hot 09 g8 gt
    1/8 7.52 MPH 94.37 60ft. 1.76
    1/4 11.74 mph 117.00 60ft. 1.76

Another stock mustang wnt2gofst's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im starting to notice mine whinning more an more. Starting to get annoying.
    Last edited by wnt2gofst; 04-04-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    2014 Harley Davidson Street Bob-Vance and Hines Short Shot staggered.

2013 F150 Ecoboost- Loaded and stock.

Post Thanks / Like

I still get that, but I'm not to sure if its the Alternator itself of maybe the belt needs to warm up a bit...
    2008 MazdaSpeed 3 - A few Mods
    2009 Panther Black G8GT -
    VMS ECU/TCU Tune, Vararam Intake, FasterProms Ported Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT's mated to a Magnaflow catback with Magnaflow Spun Metallic Cats, & Powerbond UD Pulley

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from Pontiac's website, I don't see alternator in there.

Covered for five years/100,000 miles*

Pontiac will warrant each 2007 through 2009 model year Pontiac passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine
    Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case
    Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems
    Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.