Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: OnStar turn by turn navigation

Post Thanks / Like

Smile OnStar turn by turn navigation

Anyone used OnStar turn by turn navigation system? I still have a few months left on my free OnStar subscription and was thinking about trying the nav upgrade for a month for $9.95. we’re going to SC on a short vacation though it might be a good thing to have in addition to my Magellan GPS.

thanks....
    1979 Camaro Berlinetta Camel Metallic
    2003 Monte Carlo SS Victory Red
    1992 Towncar Signature Series Gray Metallic
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine frequently. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I had it but I really didnt like it. It led me incorrectly two times pretty far from my destination... I found that a GPS works so much better and convenient... with Onstar, you get a couple little arrows and it is annoying as heck -- well at least to me it was. It worked on probably 18 routes (but 2 were completely wrong)...
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

Used it last summer along with the GPS. It had a few flaws, but at $10.00 a month I don't think its worth it unless you use it all the time. For one years cost you can buy a nice GPS, mine even has Bluetooth and goes car to car. I had factory navigation in my 07 Accord. It worked fine but was a costly option that I won't get again for the previously mentioned reasons. Plus Ilke where I mounted my portable GPS, on the lower leftside windshield, its easier to see and I had it hardwired in.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine, and well, I don't think I'll be going past my free one year I got (long story).

When it works, it works REALLY well. The problem is about 1/3 of the time the directions never download to my car which makes it rather useless. And 99% of the time when it doesn't download to the car it is the times I REALLY need the navigation. Not happy about it.
    2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT
    White Hot w/ Onyx interior, Prem Package, Sport Package, Sunroof

SHOW: Holden badges, backup assist, & gauges, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, clear bra, matte black hood scoops, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG antenna, VIM, Bluetooth, spare w/ Pace jack kit, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum trim, SS hood liner, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, JL amps, Morel and Focal speakers, 12" sub, Redline Goods armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, BP white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 279kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I was just going to get it for a month then cancel it. Wouldn’t it be great if they incorporated HUD with GPS so the route was displayed on the windshield?

I have my Magellan GPS and have been able to make custom POI’s in Excel then import them into a format that can be read by the GPS. For example I made one that list all friends and family members. Downloaded a few too like all rest stops in the US and all Hard Rock Cafe’s in North America.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had any problems, always worked great the only problem is when you go from your original destination you have to go beck to the rode that you came from it will not recalculate by it self.

I would count on the OnStar more then any other GPS. The only way that you have arrive to the wrong place Is if you gave the person wrong addres.

But I would not pay the 10$ I will use my personal GPS
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I called OnStar and got them to give me a 2 month trial without cost. Yea I know when I try to cancel they may give me a hard time but least I we’ll get to try it out. We leave out tomorrow morning for South Carolina. So using eNav I programmed in two destinations.

Post Thanks / Like

i love mine i use it A LOT i travel lots so but i have heard were people have had issuse's i recommend getting for a year and seeing for yourseld i mean some its working fine hech i throw my GPS away thats how good my on star works but others have different testamonials so just try it
    2009 SBM G8 GT
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Well I used the eNav turn by turn on my G8 to take me to my hotel in South Carolina. But instead I ended up in a residential area. On the way home though it worked fine.