Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Component Speakers need advice...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Component Speakers need advice...

Hello everyone,

Have anyone installed component speakers in the Front doors? If so, how did you install them (tweeters) and where did you place the crossover box? I just need an idea before I start this project.. If you pics that would great also... Thanks, I just need some advice...

Post Thanks / Like

I read your post, but can't advise since audio is my my thing.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Infinity 6030cs 6.5" component system in the front is what I installed a couple weeks ago. I have the crossover mounted in the door (on the inside of the moisture barrier/skin). The woofer is mounted in the stock location in the door and the tweeter mounted in the stock location on the corner of the top of the dash. Sounds MUCH better than stock!

If you search for "tweeter" on the boards then you'll find some good pics so you know what you're up against with the tweeter mounting situation. I was able to get some thin aluminum flashing cut in a 3/4" strip then bent into an angled S-shape for mounting using the stock mounting screw. That was the hardest part of the front install... by FAR
    ¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a pair of Polk audio componets DB6501 a week or two ago. I'll be posting up my tips and pictures maybe tomorrow if I get a chance. Crossover box I put under the front seats / trim piece towards the door. Tweeters, with the Polk I was able to mount the (below surface) flush mounting cups on the stock mount and had enough room under the trim piece after modifying the Polk mounting cup. In my opinion the hardest part about the install was removing and reinstalling the plastic dash pieces without screwing anything up. (which I did and had to fix)
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Component Speakers need advice...

Thanks for the reply... Are the woofer and tweeter hooked together or separately (factory) .. The reason why I asked this is because I could leave the factory tweeter alone and place the component tweeter close to the woofer (if that makes sense).. Thanks

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The front tweeter and the front woofer each receive the exact same front signal for that side (L/R). The tweeter has an in-line 3.3 micro-Farad capacitor that functions as the high-pass filter to allow only the highs to pass and be heard. Personally, I wouldn't leave the OEM tweeter.... to say it is lacking is quite an understatement.
    ¡sʎɐʍǝpıs pǝuɹnʇ pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇıʍ pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ ʞool ʎlqɐqoɹd noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post Thanks / Like

To add to mdogg's post, they are wired separately but act as one I believe for L-R and Front / Back. I also agree I would probably remove the factory tweets, or at least try the setup with them in before finishing your job. If you leave them you may end up with too much treble in the front. my .02

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Component Speakers need advice...

Thanks for the help... I have one more question is it necessary to take off the a-pillar panel to get tweeters out? Or can I just take off the tweeter/defrost panel Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would take off the a-pillar. I didn't and ended up breaking one of my dash pieces. A-pillar: There are two clips, one towards the top the other in the middle. Pull from the top and it will release pretty easy. There is a plastic cord which I couldn't get to release but it is long enough to pull the a-pillar out of your way and leave it attached.

After pulling from the top and releasing the two clips, you have to pull straight up to get it past the dash piece. Mine was a pain to get back in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple pictures to help you.

blue tape marks where the clips are, this piece pulls straight out at an angle. (not up)

In this one you can see the mounting slots for the clips, also how the a-pillar has two tabs which hold the bottom in place.