Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard time with SPOHN lowerend control arm

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard time with SPOHN lowerend control arm

Well spend 5 hours today trying to put on the lowerend control arm.

First off it looks like the placement of the holes is little off if compared to stock, stock has longer hole where it goes on the knuckle. And then I’m diegrinning the knuckle because it doesn’t fit right WTF.

I know I’m not a Mechanic just yet still at school, and I don’t have a four post lift but I do have all the tools that you could think off

So is there a trick to it? Do I have to have the hole ass up ? and I think that SPOHN drop the bole on the grinding of the knuckle if the part was design for the car it should not require any modification and if it does it should have a disclaimer.

I’m not just yet giving up on SPOHN I do like the parts the price is right and Rob at Wretched Motorsports is a good man so will see
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The trailing arm was designed on a Camaro. The bottom of the Camaro spindle is different than the G8.

I too had to Dremel the bottom of the spindle to get the arm to fit. There is a huge casting line on the spindle.

Charlie altered the arm and sent it back to Spohn. They are making a change to the arm.

If you have trouble and don't want to alter your spindle or the trailing arm, contact Spohn, they are aware of the problem and will work with you.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

The bolt goes through the knuckle just fine. Why not fix the the in the new control arm.
    '09 GT SRM Cortex tuner, Solo HFC, VCM Intake,Spohn Trailing Arms & Toe Links

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post
    The trailing arm was designed on a Camaro. The bottom of the Camaro spindle is different than the G8.

I too had to Dremel the bottom of the spindle to get the arm to fit. There is a huge casting line on the spindle.

Charlie altered the arm and sent it back to Spohn. They are making a change to the arm.

If you have trouble and don't want to alter your spindle or the trailing arm, contact Spohn, they are aware of the problem and will work with you.
    This is correct. They were sent out last week, so I would guess they get them next week.

It appears that there were 2 different manufacturers of the rear spindles of the G8s or some are just different. It will be an easy remedy for Spohn.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gt drew View Post
    the bolt goes through the knuckle just fine. Why not fix the the in the new control arm.
    what?
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    This is correct. They were sent out last week, so I would guess they get them next week.

It appears that there were 2 different manufacturers of the rear spindles of the G8s or some are just different. It will be an easy remedy for Spohn.
    So if I grind it some more it will fit? How come I’m having hard time putting it in those the suspension should be compressed a little, when I put it in it looks like the bottom of the knuckle should be pressed in to reach the arm
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Post Thanks / Like

If the suspension is hanging, you will need to push forward on the spindle, not easy but I do install them myself. It is much easier on a lift.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the toe links how are those to put on?
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kade7236 View Post
    I also bought the toe links how are those to put on?
    The passenger side is easy, the drivers side you have to lower the rear frame.

The car needs to be aligned as well. I highly recommend the Pedders alignment bolt kit for the rear. Rob can get that for you as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    The passenger side is easy, the drivers side you have to lower the rear frame.

The car needs to be aligned as well. I highly recommend the Pedders alignment bolt kit for the rear. Rob can get that for you as well.
    Is lowering of the frame necessary? How do you go about that ?
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341