Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hard time with SPOHN lowerend control arm

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I'm thinking that I should have just bought the BMR trailing arms & BMR non-adjustable toe rods, because they have been test fitted on the BMR G8 GXP shop car......

*sigh*

2009 White Hot G8 GT (stock)

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,
    Ported Intake Manifold, Spohn Trailing Arms

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Best Time: 12.517 @ 115.02mph w/ 1.97 60' time - (on stock 18" AS Tires)

Post Thanks / Like

I just spoke with Rob at Wretched Motorsports, and he said that he has had people buy the Spohn trailing arms, and they have installed them with no problems. (I'm just telling you all, what he told me).

He also said that the problem with the Spohn trailing arms are when people try to install them on the G8 GXP's that they run into the problems. Rob said that there have been less problems with the Spohn trailing arms going on the the G8 GT's. (This doesn't really make sense to me....)

So, in any event, I'm going to have them installed this Saturday 2/27 morning, and hopefully there will be no fitment issues. (Fingers crossed....)

Last edited by Mike P; 02-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.

* SOLD * 222/230 .597/.600 114+4 EPS Cam, Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab CAI, HSRK, Yank 3200 Torque Converter,
    Transmission Cooler, Kooks 1 3/4" LT Headers, high flow cats, stock mufflers, Billet Prototypes Catch Can, UD Pulley,

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

So I just called Spohn to let them know that I had just ordered some of the trailin arms wanted to know I if they were sending me the correct one and they yes cause they were aware of the situation that was being talked about on this forum.
    2009 G8 GT Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Pypes axlebacks, HSRK, LP mod, Kooks LT's 1 7/8 into 3"x-pipe, UD pulley, Circle D 2800-3000 converter, pcmforless tranny cooler, PATRICK tune. Now hope fully in the future a MAGGIE supercharger.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 1sicg8 View Post
    So I just called Spohn to let them know that I had just ordered some of the trailin arms wanted to know I if they were sending me the correct one and they yes cause they were aware of the situation that was being talked about on this forum.

Which model # Spohn trailing arms did you order? I have the black C10-201-BLK-MLD (I didn't get the 4130 chrome moly).

So, Spohn is sending you a pair of "corrected" trailing arms?

My order was placed last Monday 2/15 and they shipped from Spohn in Pennsylvania Tuesday 2/16......

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know about BMR, old new stock, or any of those things,

I have never had problem with Wretched motorsports or with Rob I have purchased things from him and I still will!!

I have not talked with Rob about my problem just yet because I think after some more gridding I can fit the part on, if not im sure that Rob and Spohn will help me get the problem resolved.

Now I have purchased a G8 GT parts I’m putting them on a G8 GT not a GXP AND THEY DONT FIT.

I feel little disappointed with spohn right now but like I mention I’m sure the will make it right! For me and all the others costumers
    Torque@ 349 HP@ 341

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
    I just spoke with Rob at Wretched Motorsports, and he said that he has had people buy the Spohn trailing arms, and they have installed them with no problems. (I'm just telling you all, what he told me).

He also said that the problem with the Spohn trailing arms are when people try to install them on the G8 GXP's that they run into the problems. Rob said that there have been less problems with the Spohn trailing arms going on the the G8 GT's. (This doesn't really make sense to me....)

So, in any event, I'm going to have them installed this Saturday 2/27 morning, and hopefully there will be no fitment issues. (Fingers crossed....)

Quote Originally Posted by kade7236 View Post
    I don’t know about BMR, old new stock, or any of those things,

I have never had problem with Wretched motorsports or with Rob I have purchased things from him and I still will!!

I have not talked with Rob about my problem just yet because I think after some more gridding I can fit the part on, if not im sure that Rob and Spohn will help me get the problem resolved.

Now I have purchased a G8 GT parts I’m putting them on a G8 GT not a GXP AND THEY DONT FIT.

I feel little disappointed with spohn right now but like I mention I’m sure the will make it right! For me and all the others costumers
    One more time.

There appears to be a problem with some G8s. There might have been two different producers of rear spindles.

The bottom of some of the spindles is different than the Camaro spindle. These arms were developed on a Camaro. The Camaro is close enough to the G8 that they marketed it for both cars.

If you are having a problem, contact Spohn, they will fix it.

I had this problem. I Dremeled the bottom of the spindle to gain clearance. There was a big casting line on the bottom of the spindle. You remove that line, the arm fits.

Spohn is revising the arm to fit with no alterations to the spindle or arm.

This is not the end of the world.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeInNePa View Post

This is not the end of the world.

Are you sure? Check your Mayan calendar.......

Just kidding. Thanks for the information George. If mine has that casting line on the spindle, I'll just have my installer dremel/sand it down, & I'll be good to go. (It will be up on a lift.....)

Cool & thank you again.....

407 RWHP & 365 RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w/Mike P., Thanks George for the info.

...and well said. We must give these companies a chance to help.
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Spohn trailing arms from Devilish (beautiful pieces and a GRRRR8 deal) and just finished installing. What a ROYAL PITA to install. I wish I had seen this thread prior to beginning. The passenger side one took about an hour mainly because I was doing it with a jack and the access to the bolts blows. Plus it's the first time so I went slow, while accumulating the tools as I went.

But the driver side. OMG. Took me over 3 hours. I could not get the bottom bolt to go through the final bracket side. Just wouldn't line up. I'll spare you the 3 hours of grief and cursing details but I ended up asking the neighbor across the way to give me a hand. I literally had to bench press the spindle and knuckle up and forward (I can bench 285 by the way LOL) and once it lined up, I had my neighbor tap the bolt through. GEEZOO. Finished up in 15 minutes after that.

1. Really research install instructions and other experience like these threads first.
    2. Do it on a LIFT.
    3. Be prepared that the holes might not line up.

Anyway, it's all good now.
    Last edited by SpeedRacerX; 07-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    R.I.P. Charlie

"Any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi

2009 G8 GT, MSM/Onyx, Prem, Mods: few......Dozen