Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10-03-09-001: Vibration/Pulsation/Thrumming TSB (FIX)

Post Thanks / Like

I get some vibration on the wheel....so I'll bring this up at my next oil change! Thanks for the info.

I wonder what they are going to say about doing the work though. I see that they have to remove the right side exhaust manifold and cat. Well....many of us have headers, so I wonder if that will end up being an issue.

EDIT: Also, wondering how these softer engine mounts will effect engine/driveline lash? From past experiences with Mazda's, everyone usually upgraded to Hardened Poly Mounts to elimiate the lash and deliver the power to the wheels more "crisp" for lack of a better word at the moment .
    Last edited by Rawyzf; 01-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Magnetic Grey Metallic - 12.243@115.81 (10/06/2012) (SOLD - Dec. 05, 2013)
    [COLOR="#000000"]
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero - Carbon Flash Metallic: (SOLD - March. 10, 2015)

[B][COLOR="#000000"]

2015 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 - Deep Ocean Blue Metallic: E85 conversion, Texas Speed LT Headers, Borla Muffler, Airraid MIT, Tuned & Converted by CJTunes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mom, and thats what a world class car company does.
    Old Retiree in a Infiniti

Current Car - Infiniti M37S
    Former G8 -V6 Owner (Yes, I am still kicking myself)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawyzf View Post
    I get some vibration on the wheel....so I'll bring this up at my next oil change! Thanks for the info.

I wonder what they are going to say about doing the work though. I see that they have to remove the right side exhaust manifold and cat. Well....many of us have headers, so I wonder if that will end up being an issue.

EDIT: Also, wondering how these softer engine mounts will effect engine/driveline lash? From past experiences with Mazda's, everyone usually upgraded to Hardened Poly Mounts to elimiate the lash and deliver the power to the wheels more "crisp" for lack of a better word at the moment .

Typically if you have aftermarket parts that need to be removed, most times you'll have to pay the book labor to have them removed. It's the dealerships decision.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get my dealer to work with me. They say the TSB is extensive and will cost more to run than they will receive in reimbursement from GM.

Also, the regional rep apparently has final say over whether they'll provide the damn prop-shaft.

Overall, it looks like GM is creating a bunch of 2nd class citizens out of we G8 owners...having to go "begging" for part replacements that GM knows are bad, or they wouldn't issue a TSB in the first place.

Standard BS line from the dealer: "They all make that noise, so it's not a defect". I want to drive my G8 through their dealership plate glass!

Any ideas on how to convince a dealer (who admittedly has the best techs in my area once you get their attention) to work with the TSB's instead of pushing we "seated in coach" Pontiac owners around? I'm too old for this sh*t!!
    Red Metallic 2009.5 G8 GT Sport/Premium.
    Pedders: Track II drop; BMR sub-frame connectors in hammered black; Partially de-badged
    DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines,
    Vararam CAI, HP Tune, Dynotech Balanced Drive Shaft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted35 View Post
    I can't get my dealer to work with me. They say the TSB is extensive and will cost more to run than they will receive in reimbursement from GM.

Also, the regional rep apparently has final say over whether they'll provide the damn prop-shaft.

Overall, it looks like GM is creating a bunch of 2nd class citizens out of we G8 owners...having to go "begging" for part replacements that GM knows are bad, or they wouldn't issue a TSB in the first place.

Standard BS line from the dealer: "They all make that noise, so it's not a defect". I want to drive my G8 through their dealership plate glass!

Any ideas on how to convince a dealer (who admittedly has the best techs in my area once you get their attention) to work with the TSB's instead of pushing we "seated in coach" Pontiac owners around? I'm too old for this sh*t!!
    Call Pontiac Customer Care. Be nice on the phone, those folks are there to help you.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mom,

No wonder it took awhile to find a fix. They had to write an entire encyclopedia!

Post Thanks / Like

E0901
    Vibration Diagnosis
    0.8 hr

Add
    Measure Tire Wheel Asm., Runout and Re-Balance
    1.3 hrs

Add
    Replace Tire and/or Wheel -- Each
    0.2 hr

J7551
    Engine Motor Mounts (Both)
    1.5 hr

F1280
    Propeller Shaft Replacement
    0.9 hr
    Looks like a 4+ hour potential here... I doubt it will take them that long to go through the process... sounds like they are a wind down store.
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Post Thanks / Like

I took my car in today.

They claimed all they did was indexed the driveshaft again. It appears to have eliminated the vibration problem at last.

Addicted Member familycaronROIDS!'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey my car does vibrate when I am on a smooth highway driving on normal speeds between 60-75. I am gonna take it in at my earliest convenience. I am just gonna have to tell them not to touch my ECM & TCM.. Or I will kick their butts!!

2009 G8 GT
    Wrenched&tuned@CMS w/N2o
    518rwhp-450rwtq
    11.4@121mph DA2400+
    sound clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8trh7SkzQg
    racing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA5td_Jm1OE

Post Thanks / Like

Update:
    Car in service for 3 days now. They've flashed BCM, TCM, etc.. with new firmware (check GMTIS site...it will tell you if your car has available update for the ECU's):
    http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

So far, had to get into scream-fest at service manager, because he's insisting now that there's no road good enough in the area to induce the driveshaft vibration. He called tech line at GM, they told him to put the vibration sensors on the car and run with it...waiting to hear back.

If not this dealer, then the next. I know there's an issue, based on the description in the TSB (exact match to the symptoms...phasing vibration, booming noise, etc...) but this dealer is jerking me around, telling me how much time and money they'd have to put into my car just to accomplish the items in the TSB.

Bad vibes all around.

Will post again when I hear back from dealer today.

Would it be worth BUYING the new driveshaft from GM if the dealer's refusing to run the TSB? They're giving me the BS about "They all do it, so it's a design issue", etc.

Can't understand why they won't take GM's money for the repair!!
    Red Metallic 2009.5 G8 GT Sport/Premium.
    Pedders: Track II drop; BMR sub-frame connectors in hammered black; Partially de-badged
    DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines,
    Vararam CAI, HP Tune, Dynotech Balanced Drive Shaft