Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Suspension Clunk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear Suspension Clunk

Ok, I did a search and came up empty handed.

I have a 2009 GT. I have had the front control arms completely replace and now I have a clunk coming from the rear.

Its coming from the passenger side rear every time i go over a bump. My whole back dash is dynamatted and I can turn up my stereo full blast (2-12's) and not get a rattle. This only happens when i go over bumps.

Anyone else had this noise and had it diagnosed????
    2009 Pontiac G8GT Panther Black
    Custom exhaust with aero mufflers
    JeTTTstream Stage III Intake
    Untuned
    Rockford Fosgate P3D12 subs
    Elemental Designs Nine.1

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue and have not figured the cause of it yet.

ProCharger F-1D
    Treadstone TR1235 FMIC
    Kooks 1 7/8 LTH
    Corsa catback
    New Era (228/240) cam
    Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers
    GMPP LS3 CNC heads
    Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump
    FAST fuel rails
    FAST FPR
    FIC 1000cc injectors
    Yank SS2800
    Camaro trans pan/filter
    Earl's trans cooler
    RX catch can

EFI Live 736 RWHP/642 LBFT 91oct 15psi
    EFI Live 730 RWHP/621 LBFT E85 13psi
    EFI Live 695 RWHP/603 LBFT E85 11psi
    HP Tuners 762RWHP/646LBFT E85 9psi

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone? incon3037r and I could use some help. This crap is annoying.

disclaimer: this in no way means I dislike my 8. lol
    Untuned
    Elemental Designs Nine.1

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carefully check car on a drive on rack at a shop and make sure nothing to do with your exhaust upgrade is hitting or close. This is very common as some places have the suspension hanging when they do exhaust work and then when its on the ground clearances change and over a bump you get a clunk/thump from that interference.

If all thats good, inspect rear strut on that side carefully as well.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRRRR8 View Post
    Carefully check car on a drive on rack at a shop and make sure nothing to do with your exhaust upgrade is hitting or close. This is very common as some places have the suspension hanging when they do exhaust work and then when its on the ground clearances change and over a bump you get a clunk/thump from that interference.

If all thats good, inspect rear strut on that side carefully as well.
    Thank you, will do. It just started recently, so could be a bad exhaust hanger. But i have a feeling its the rear strut. It sounds like its coming from(in or around) that area.
    Untuned
    Elemental Designs Nine.1

Post Thanks / Like

Mine started clunking from the rear about 2 months ago. I think mine is related to two things, although I haven't been able to climb underneath to test this out. I think it's the exhaust hitting something on bumps, and it's related to the temp outside + the temp of the exhaust. Once the car is warmed up fully I have to hit a pretty big bump to hear the noise, but at first start a medium bump sounds like the rear tires are going to fall off. I think winter temps are making it worse, so to me it seems like the exhaust is contracting just enough to come into contact with something. And then once it's warmed up it gives it just enough clearance.
    2014 SRT Viper TA
    2009 Liquid Red G8 GT
    Drivetrain: 25% UDP, Solo axle back
    Suspension / Brakes: BMR f/r swaybars, radius rod bushings, trailing arms,
    toe rods, subframe connectors, tunnel brace, crossmember bushings, DBA slotted rotors,
    hawk ceramic pads
    Show: VE SS Black/Red Steering Wheel, VE Black/Red Shifter, Leather Console Lid, 20% Tint

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same clunk/rattle, same side. Haven't had it looked at yet. I think I read somewhere on this forum that at least one guy had a rear strut link fail and something about the rear sway bar bushings causing noise too. It does sound like it is coming from the strut/strut mount area though.

It is annoying as hell

My G8 sounds like a clapped out piece of shit in back on a rough road and I'm not even at 10K yet.

I've got next Thur and Fri off and plan on taking it to the dealer to get it fixed.
    2009 SRM G8 GT Premium/Sport
    Mid muff and resonators replaced with X-pipe
    3 1/2" exhaust tips
    Cortex 91 octane tune
    GXP rear diffuser

Post Thanks / Like

noticed for the first time two days ago. interesting that this came up with you guys. However Charlie may be on to something in my case anyway. I just installed a cat-back system a week ago. It could be my ignorance. sure sounds like a strut tower though dont it! U guys report back what u find its gonna be a week before i can even look at mine
    G8GT SOLD

NEXT!!

Banned for not playing nice
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharger View Post
    I think I read somewhere on this forum that at least one guy had a rear strut link fail
    I had a rear sway link fail. If you really push it in the turns the pathetic little sway bar links dont hold up and they will bend or snap and you'll hear it rattling around. You can replace them with adjustable heim joint links for a vette if you drill the holes out a bit.

Smells of Bacon... GeorgeInNePa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGM GT View Post
    I had a rear sway link fail. If you really push it in the turns the pathetic little sway bar links dont hold up and they will bend or snap and you'll hear it rattling around. You can replace them with adjustable heim joint links for a vette if you drill the holes out a bit.
    Spohn is also making them for the 5th Gen Camaro and will be offering them for the G8, I think.

ETA:
    I'm pretty sure Pedders offers aftermarket links, too.
    2011 Kona Blue 5.0 Auto -->(Livernois 93Tune and DR only-11.880 @ 118.11, 1.827) - Lund Racing Tune - BOSS Intake - JPC LTs&OTA, O/R-X, GT500muffs - CircleD 4500 - DSS shaft - DA QA1s - J&M LCAs - JPC UCA/BMR mount - 295/50/16 MT DRs - JLT Catch Can (awaiting install UPR K, TSS oil pump gears)

'08 Black on Black G8GT--> 12.166 @ 113.13, 1.723 Bolt 0ns and Converter --Gone, but not forgotten.--
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/gr_devil.gif
    Plastic Cuttin' Bad Ass!